Unsure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myopia0017

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am suppose to be graduating with my B.S in bio spring 2008, but I've been pushing myself to graduate this fall 2007. The problem is, with all of these classes, it is difficult to study for the OAT. I've already taken it once, and did poorly. I plan to take it again before August 2008. The problem with that is I will be taking a lot of summer classes as well, making it still a little difficult to focus on my OATS. I have been gathering my LORS ( waiting on 2) so that I can send them in ahead of time. As of right now I have a pretty decent gpa, 3.47. I've been working for an opt. for over 1 1/2 years now, and I occasionally volunteer at the Humane Society.

Should I push and try to apply this year, or should I go ahead and finish my degree this year, and take a few months to concentrate on the OAT. I'm 21, and I just want to start Optometry school early ( if accepted).

Will it make me stand out at all if I finish and apply early?

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you, I'd just finish completing my degree when I'm supposed to. What's the rush for? Why not just graduate when you normally should? If you do it that way, then you'll have time to concentrate on your courses and study for the OAT. Then, make sure you send in your app as earlier as you can when the time comes.

honestly if anything i think it is a hinderance to you to do such a thing. i know that at my school they are looking for life experience and people who really know what they want to do with their life and NOT on how fast you get through school and even not so much on grades (you still need a minimum gpa and oat score to get an interview tho) there is really no reason to try to finish in december; i really dont think it will help you in any way. you would have a much better chance of getting into school if you took the oat in the fall after studying a lot... what are you going to do with a free spring quarter??? even if you use it to work for an optometrist and/or try to prepare for the oat you wont be able to get in in 2008 and will probably be applying for 2009

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I'm guessing I should just focus on my degree and apply for 2009. It will give me more time to concentrate on OAT as well. I have some LORs already, can I still send those in for the 2009 app even though they are dated for the 2008 app?

I am working for an optometrist presently, and I really enjoy it. I guess rushing will just be too hectic. Thanks for the advice.

Don't be in such a rush, enjoy being an undergrad while you can! I even went an extra semester and it was the most enjoyable semester I had. Technically I went the extra semester to finish my thesis that I decided to start in the spring and I was also able to take classes wholly unrelated to my major that I had wanted to take for some time.

If Optometry is something you really want to do then it will happen for you. With that said, your undergraduate degree is the priority now and it may hurt to take away from that by looking too far ahead.

Why are you pushing yourself against time?