UNSW 07 or Wait and take MCAT/GMAT 08?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anomorato

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 26 yr old Bs graduate from Canada. I got accepted into UNSW for the 07 term this Feb 26, where I will have have to complete 5.5 yrs out of the 6.

I am thinking of taking my MCAT or GMAT and apply to the 4 yr programs (graduate) for 2008. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi anomorato...I don't think there's a 4yr medicine program at UNSW but you can definitely try USyd...it's really up to you whether you wanna go thru the undergrad MBBS program at UNSW which is quite unique and different from the others...i'm a 4th year there so if you have any questions about the course pls contact me at [email protected]

Cheers!

Hi Anamoroto,

You have been asking essentially the same question for many weeks now, on this and at least one other forum. No-one can make this decision for you, it's going to be your call.

It seems to me from your past questions you are concerned about how long it will take for you to get your degree, and also which is the more difficult (rather, which is the easiest path) for you to follow. In my opinion, I think this is the wrong way to go about it.

You have a confirmed spot at one of the best medical schools in Australia. If you waited until 2008 for a graduate entry two things will happen: 1) You need to apply through a process that, although similar, is different to undergraduate entry. There are no guarantees you will do as well, or will get an offer from a school as good as UNSW. 2) The total amount of time it will take you to get your degree will only be 6 months less (from what you say about UNSW giving you credit).

So on the face of it, you are gambling a spot at UNSW for the possibility of gaining entry into a school (potentially less prestigious) that will give you a degree 6 months earlier.

I know what I would do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi anamoroto,

There is a graduate entry scheme for UNSW if you're interested but it is new...the website is below...please contact the school of you have any further questions...

http://www.med.unsw.edu.au/medweb.nsf/resources/GradEntry/$file/GraduateEntryStream.pdf

I am a 26 yr old Bs graduate from Canada. I got accepted into UNSW for the 07 term this Feb 26, where I will have have to complete 5.5 yrs out of the 6.

I am thinking of taking my MCAT or GMAT and apply to the 4 yr programs (graduate) for 2008. What should I do?

I would take the offer because what if you take the MCAT or GMAT and bomb it? You have a guaranteed spot, it's only 5.5 years, and you'll be done at 31-32ish. If you wait until 2008, you'll be 27 entering a 4 year graduate program (that's if you get in), and you'll be 31ish anyway. If money is an issue than I can understand where you're coming from, but you shouldn't let age influence your decisions.