UNTHSC vs. TWU vs. UTSW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luxsit90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I applied to all three and I was wondering if you could tell me the 'feel' or reputation for the kind of school each of the three in DFW is? Like is UTSW all about pumping out DPTs and TWU has a more personal feel, etc? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm curious about this too. I applied to all three and have a good chance in getting into at least two. What will be the deciding factor? Individual preference of experience?

I graduated TWU Dallas in May - had 2 job interviews and 2 offers, all before I passed the NPTE - TWU is a hard program, but they have the reputation.

UNT has our old Assistant Director in Dr. LC, she knows what she's doing and is for the students, other than that I have no opinion on either UNT or UTSW.

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated TWU Dallas in May - had 2 job interviews and 2 offers, all before I passed the NPTE - TWU is a hard program, but they have the reputation.

UNT has our old Assistant Director in Dr. LC, she knows what she's doing and is for the students, other than that I have no opinion on either UNT or UTSW.

That's awesome. I'm applying to TWU but the program does seem a bit intense. That is a good thing though.

@DPTRVTCCRP Was TWU your first choice when you first applied? How did observation hours prior to applying helped you in PT School? How did undergrad prepare you? Were you a traditional applicant? Sorry for all of the questions; I can come up with a million haha. Thanks for the initial reply to the post.

@DPTRVTCCRP Was TWU your first choice when you first applied? How did observation hours prior to applying helped you in PT School? How did undergrad prepare you? Were you a traditional applicant? Sorry for all of the questions; I can come up with a million haha. Thanks for the initial reply to the post.

No, it wasn't. but the alternative wasn't acceptable. Initially, I liked TWU only because my husband is based out of the DFW area, I got into UTMB in Galveston as well. It was a hard decision because I really liked UTMB's campus and atmosphere, but the thought of being away from my husband for 2 years except for the weekend when I'd be studying was not something I wanted to do.

Get hours from multiple places with a variety of experiences, I would think 50-60 in each type of setting if you can. The observation hours only help you to determine if PT is something you'd like and to see what happens. I was a kinesiology undergrad and it helped, but I wish I would have taken a neurology class during undergrad, it would have helped as to I really struggled in the dictatic class portion of that area. I am not a traditional student and had poor study habits (procrastinator). I had some areas where I struggled, but I think it was worth it - I am pretty certain that I got my job because of the school's reputation.

There are many things I enjoy about being a physical therapist - I help people every day. One thing I hate is all the paperwork :wtf:, but it cannot be helped, it needs to be done. +pissed+

That's awesome. I'm applying to TWU but the program does seem a bit intense. That is a good thing though.

My husband is fond of saying, "if it was easy, everybody would do it" We lost 3 people from my class, 1 grades, 2 rejoined the class under ours, but we gained 2 from the class ahead of us. It wasn't easy, but well worth it.

Good Luck to you both.

No, it wasn't. but the alternative wasn't acceptable. Initially, I liked TWU only because my husband is based out of the DFW area, I got into UTMB in Galveston as well. It was a hard decision because I really liked UTMB's campus and atmosphere, but the thought of being away from my husband for 2 years except for the weekend when I'd be studying was not something I wanted to do.

Get hours from multiple places with a variety of experiences, I would think 50-60 in each type of setting if you can. The observation hours only help you to determine if PT is something you'd like and to see what happens. I was a kinesiology undergrad and it helped, but I wish I would have taken a neurology class during undergrad, it would have helped as to I really struggled in the dictatic class portion of that area. I am not a traditional student and had poor study habits (procrastinator). I had some areas where I struggled, but I think it was worth it - I am pretty certain that I got my job because of the school's reputation.

There are many things I enjoy about being a physical therapist - I help people every day. One thing I hate is all the paperwork :wtf:, but it cannot be helped, it needs to be done. +pissed+

your emotes are great! I think I'd have to put TWU as my number 1 at this point. The program seems like a challenge, and I thrive in that environment. I don't want a cakewalk. Thank you for the information. The reputation, rigor, cost, and location are all good to amazing.

Thank you so much for this. I'm sure those who will come across this thread will appreciate YOUR experience. I'm glad I did everything right; I observed 4 different settings and current Tech at an outpatient ortho clinic. I loved observing peds ...and I found LTAC very very interesting. I know that I want to be a PT, but the type of setting will be a preference that I know I'll develop more during DPT school (if/when I get in).

I have an interview with UTSW next week (Oct. 9) and no news from TWU Dallas (applied early decision) but I'm sure I will find out this month about my app not qualifying for acceptance for ED (AW and V scores of GRE didn't meet requirements). So we'll see in December :O

Thanks again!

-Roma

I'm a second year student at TWU Dallas. While all PT programs are tough, I think TWU's program is especially rigorous. You will definitely know your stuff when you graduate! The campus is new and super nice, and it was great having cadaver lab be completely for PT students (I believe at UTSW they share with med students, but I could be wrong about that). Overall the instructors are pretty supportive and are really organized about making all the courses fit together well. They also have a program where we have optional sessions to practice our skills outside of class with a PT from the community present to help us, which has absolutely made a huge difference for me. Originally TWU was my second choice program, and I did get into my first choice when I applied, but after I visited TWU and met the current students and faculty, I changed my mind and am so glad that I did! :)

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a second year student at TWU Dallas. While all PT programs are tough, I think TWU's program is especially rigorous. You will definitely know your stuff when you graduate! The campus is new and super nice, and it was great having cadaver lab be completely for PT students (I believe at UTSW they share with med students, but I could be wrong about that). Overall the instructors are pretty supportive and are really organized about making all the courses fit together well. They also have a program where we have optional sessions to practice our skills outside of class with a PT from the community present to help us, which has absolutely made a huge difference for me. Originally TWU was my second choice program, and I did get into my first choice when I applied, but after I visited TWU and met the current students and faculty, I changed my mind and am so glad that I did! :)

To be honest, that happened to one of the PT's that I work with. He was accepted to UTSW and TWU, but went for TWU since he said that that faculty came about much more "friendly and caring" than UTSW's. I will know in the next couple of month. I'm kind of wishing that I get into one and not into the other. I would hate to have to pick!! But first I have to get accepted lol I'm thinking waaaay ahead.

To be honest, that happened to one of the PT's that I work with. He was accepted to UTSW and TWU, but went for TWU since he said that that faculty came about much more "friendly and caring" than UTSW's. I will know in the next couple of month. I'm kind of wishing that I get into one and not into the other. I would hate to have to pick!! But first I have to get accepted lol I'm thinking waaaay ahead.

Whichever school you get into, it's what you make of it - yes, TWU has a reputation, but UTSW is nothing to scoff either. Both schools can put out excellent PTs, or bad PTs. The thing you need to remember is you get out what you put in, it's all up to you. Good luck!

Whichever school you get into, it's what you make of it - yes, TWU has a reputation, but UTSW is nothing to scoff either. Both schools can put out excellent PTs, or bad PTs. The thing you need to remember is you get out what you put in, it's all up to you. Good luck!
I've been wanted to get into UTSW ever since I learned about PT and I just got accepted! TWU will tell me December, but I have to submit my decision for UTSW by Nov 4 so.... I'm taking it :)

I've been wanted to get into UTSW ever since I learned about PT and I just got accepted! TWU will tell me December, but I have to submit my decision for UTSW by Nov 4 so.... I'm taking it :)
Congrats and Good Luck! :highfive:

I'm happy you got your first choice, I would call Mary Beth at TWU and let her know of your decision to go to UTSW so that she can pass it on to the decision makers there.

Any current DPT students willing to share some advice? I'm an out-of-stater who will be relocating to Dallas for PT school and for my husband's work. I've been accepted to both TWU-Dallas and UTSW physical therapy programs. I'm extremely torn between deciding which school to attend.

After interviewing at UTSW, I felt like I was already a part of something. Having a current DPT student lead us around for the day was a great opportunity to ask questions and feel the energy of other students and their interactions. The interview with a professor, who was genuinely interested in getting to know us, followed by a phone call from that same professor made me feel like the school truly cared about its future class. The interview day was so organized and went by smoothly.

As for TWU, I'm unable to attend the accepted students forum in Dallas on January 30 as it would require me to miss more time off work and another plane ticket/hotel. However, I was able to have a tour of the facilities in early January. No students were around so I wasn't able to personally talk with them. TWU has been awesome about exchanging email addresses of current students, and I have been able to correspond that way. They have been prompt in responding and have been so honest and nice. Their facilities were very nice. The only down side was that their gym was a box (literally not much space).

UTSW is considered an accelerated program which starts in May with commencement in December 2018. TWU would start in late August with commencement in the Spring of 2019. TWU is ranked higher, has brand new facilities, and has its own cadaver lab. UTSW has clinics located within its own building which allows for frequent observation. Both schools are located in the same area. I really don't think I could choose wrong as both schools seem impressive. But that's part of the problem!!!! Help!! I think I'm torn because I feel such a connection to UTSW because I was able to interact with current students and faculty. However, I don't want to devaluate TWU. I may have experienced similar feelings if I was able to attend the forum. Any insight or similar experiences? How did you make your final decision? Thanks so much in advance!

What made you want to go to UTSW versus TWU?