UOP Interview/Acceptance Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnstylzes

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interview on the 11/17. What about you?

I keep hearing the interview is more of a formal orientation to the school where you interview the school, rather than them interview you? Any truth in this?

Members don't see this ad.

Well I've heard that unless you are the most boring person in the world you are pretty much in.

Most eveyone that I've interviewed with presented it that way (except for Arizona). They were all pretty laid back for the most part with a couple good questions in interviews. Just being yourself and answering truthfully is the best thing to do. Arizona was the exception with a very high stress interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
johnstylzes said:
Interview on the 11/17. What about you?

I keep hearing the interview is more of a formal orientation to the school where you interview the school, rather than them interview you? Any truth in this?

I'm wondering if everyone who received a call from UOP caught their phone call. My cell phone was off half of the day, so would they leave you a message or keep calling until reaching you?

dentister said:
I'm wondering if everyone who received a call from UOP caught their phone call. My cell phone was off half of the day, so would they leave you a message or keep calling until reaching you?

yes.

Also,
did the status on UOP's applicant page change immediately after they called you?

dentister said:
... would they leave you a message or keep calling until reaching you?

they would do both. at least that is what janelle said when I asked her the same question. sorry for being vague before.

Gulch said:
they would do both. at least that is what janelle said when I asked her the same question. sorry for being vague before.

No problem.
So Gulch, were you invitied by UOP for an interview?
If so, CONGRATS!!!

Congrats on the interviews!

Beestieboy said:
Arizona was the exception with a very high stress interview.

I have to agree with that - I was asked about world events and politics. I thought maybe it was because I put down "keeping up with politics and current events" in my application under "hobbies" ... but then I asked other interviewees and they said they got the same question.

They took it very seriously though. Frazzled me out.

dentister said:
Also,
did the status on UOP's applicant page change immediately after they called you?

Yes, mine changed the next day from "Rewiew" to "Interview" in both the "Status*" and "Comments" fields. My interview is not till January 9th, however; They said that because of the volume of applicants this year having an interview after December 1st will not hurt your chances for getting in. I also asked why it had taken so long (wonding if something in my applicaiton was weak) and she said she had a stack of 1500 applications, all with stats just like mine. They are just having trouble narrowing it down to 300 or so interview invites.

Wow! Already filled until January 9th, well I hope you are right about the change in policy this year.

:( 1500 people stats like yours. I guess no hope for my 22/22/22 and 3.4 GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
A friend of mine called UoP today to ask about there application status and got this response. They said that this year there are around 300 applicants from BYU (Utah, Idaho, and Hawaii) and they will only be offering interviews to the top students reguardless of whether their stats are more competetive than studnents applying from other Universities. In order to even be considered as a BYU applicant your GPA must be above 3.6 with DAT scores above 20 (PAT/AA/TS). Hopefully this is helpful to some of you SDNers.

what do you mean by BYU (Utah, etc)? are you talking about Brigham Young, or applicants from those states?

johnstylzes said:
what do you mean by BYU (Utah, etc)? are you talking about Brigham Young, or applicants from those states?

I am talking about individuals who attend either BYU Utah, BYU Idaho, or BYU Hawaii. It doesn't matter which one, schools see them all as the same.

I beg to differ on your statement about schools seeing BYU, BYU-H, and BYU-I as the same school. BYU in Provo, UT is MUCH more competetive than the others and professional schools definately know the difference. The UT campus has one of the largest pre-dental programs in the country making pre-req. classes v. competitive.

hansdieter702 said:
I beg to differ on your statement about schools seeing BYU, BYU-H, and BYU-I as the same school. BYU in Provo, UT is MUCH more competetive than the others and professional schools definately know the difference. The UT campus has one of the largest pre-dental programs in the country making pre-req. classes v. competitive.

Why don’t you call them and see what they say. It is true that BYU Utah is "more competitive,” however; dental schools don’t differentiate I know this for a fact it is not speculation or hearsay. Also the DAT score averages and acceptance rates are equal.

cl24uw06 said:
A friend of mine called UoP today to ask about there application status and got this response. They said that this year there are around 300 applicants from BYU (Utah, Idaho, and Hawaii) and they will only be offering interviews to the top students reguardless of whether their stats are more competetive than studnents applying from other Universities. In order to even be considered as a BYU applicant your GPA must be above 3.6 with DAT scores above 20 (PAT/AA/TS). Hopefully this is helpful to some of you SDNers.

How is that fair? and can anyone else verify that this is true. If so, I guess it sucks to be me with a 3.5 gpa and 21's and 22's across the board huh?

TimR said:
How is that fair? and can anyone else verify that this is true. If so, I guess it sucks to be me with a 3.5 gpa and 21's and 22's across the board huh?
Ya that sucks for me too with a 3.5 and 20's. I guess I can transfer to UVSC that's where I got my low science grades anyway.

If Pacific is saying that they have 1500 apps with the same stats as the guy above (cl24uw06), they are grossly exagerating. Let's say there are 20,000 dental school applicants this year. I know for a fact that the cl24uw06's DAT scores are in the 99th percentile or better, which means only 200 students max have as good a DAT as him. Then you consider that only 1/2 to 2/3 of those 200 have a GPA so high (i.e. 3.85-ish).

Anyway, I hope that BYU stuff just applies to BYU schools since I'm from Utah, but not a Y attender.

Best of luck to you all.

cl24uw06 said:
dental schools don’t differentiate I know this for a fact it is not speculation or hearsay. Also the DAT score averages and acceptance rates are equal.

Whatever...I have an email from Robin Benningfield at Louisville that states, "Every dental school knows that a "C" or "B" from a BYU science class is an "A" at most other institutions." Don't hate.

acceptance said:
If Pacific is saying that they have 1500 apps with the same stats as the guy above (cl24uw06), they are grossly exagerating. Let's say there are 20,000 dental school applicants this year. I know for a fact that the cl24uw06's DAT scores are in the 99th percentile or better, which means only 200 students max have as good a DAT as him. Then you consider that only 1/2 to 2/3 of those 200 have a GPA so high (i.e. 3.85-ish).

Actually, if I am correct, the percentile is based off of last year's scores. (by the way, his scores put him at 97 percent, not 99.) So theoretically there are only ~500 students with DATs scores like his with about 1/3 of them actually having a GPA of 3.85+. It's possible that a lot more students scored a 22AA this year than they did last year, granting each of those students a 97 percentile also! So there could be a thousand this year, compared to last year's 500 or so who got a 22 (even though I highly doubt it). What I mean is, the # of students scoring above 20 this year doesn't affect the percentiles at all! The next year when someone scores a 22AA and the DATs are reaveraged, he might not be in the 97 percentile anymore. He might even be in the high 80s considering the competitiveness of this year's applicants.

But I wouldn't worry. The UoP situation is a gross exageration of the truth. I have two classmates who have DAT scores of 19/19 and 19/20 with GPAs of 3.6 each and they both got interviews from UoP. So, don't give up hope, your number might be called next.

My buddy called Pacific yesterday to ask about this thread and the lady said it's full of crap...

could you pls be more specific.. what exactly is full of crap...?

VegasBabyVegas said:
My buddy called Pacific yesterday to ask about this thread and the lady said it's full of crap...

I'm surprised that Pacific only has about 6 invites from the SDN application base, while other schools like Temple and Columbia have much higher invitations. I wonder how many other invites they gave out to the rest of the application population.

Is Pacific just that stingy when it comes to interviews or are they just behind b/c the "50% increase number of applicants at this time"?

kittylover said:
could you pls be more specific.. what exactly is full of crap...?

I want to know too

Happy83 said:
I want to know too

It's simply not true. They don't have a special cutoff for BYU students just because they are from BYU

johnstylzes said:
...Is Pacific just that stingy when it comes to interviews or are they just behind b/c the "50% increase number of applicants at this time"?

Not everyone likes UOP. I didn't apply to UOP mainly because of the 3-yr program.

dat_student said:
Not everyone likes UOP. I didn't apply to UOP mainly because of the 3-yr program.

I never said that everyone likes Pacific and the three-year program doesn't work for everyone. However, I think a lot of people have some interest in the school considering its one of the top five schools applied to in the 2003-2004 cycle (eventhough many don't consider it a "back-up" school---I'd say its pretty popular)

source: http://dentalstats.tripod.com/03-04.htm

I've heard great things about UOP but I don't know that it is known nationally (except maybe in the dental community). I live in Southern California and I would say that most people have never heard of UOP. The three year program is a plus though...

I'll be going to UoP! Man I am SOOOOOO PUMPED!!!!!! Dr. Yahrborough called me personally to tell me, and also said I got a very nice scholarship! Don't know about the ethics of posting the amount, so I won't reveal it. In any case, I am Extremely happy right now. :eek: :D :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :love:

see all you future classmates at PACIFIC!!! :) are you guys from california?

tiggie said:
see all you future classmates at PACIFIC!!! :) are you guys from california?

I"m from San Jose California. Attending UC DAvis :)

I'd like to say wassup to my future classmates! I'm originally from Stockton, CA. Working in Sacramento. I can't wait for July to come around!

Fulcrum77 said:
I'd like to say wassup to my future classmates! I'm originally from Stockton, CA. Working in Sacramento. I can't wait for July to come around!

Hey! Glad to see another future classmate. I'm from Palo Alto, CA...pretty much screwing around helping with food banks and toy drives. I'll be in Spain for a few months relaxing before July. Can't wait to start!

I'm down here in Downey (get it?). Long Beach area. Hopefully my wife (who's an RN) will be able to join a travel nursing agency, where they pay your rent for up to a year! So all the money she will make wont have to be spent on rent for a while. We'll probably make the move in May or so.

Hey guys! I'm up in San Francisco right now! Anyone think of where they want to live yet?