UoP - Specializing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

4thQtrDreams

Good times, for a change.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is in the right forum, but im sure you guys here know much more about getting into specialty programs than the pre-dents..

My question is Does going to Pacific for your DDS diminish your chances of getting into a competitive specialty such as OMFS or Ortho?

Pacific is one of my very top choices, and i would think i would most likely not specialize but want to keep my options open..

Members don't see this ad.

Board scores, class rank, research (esp. ortho), and a good story.

UoP might even be an ADVANTAGE for OMFS, because if I am correct, they do not have an OMFS residency, therefore you don't refer the hard cases to residents; you do them yourselves. Makes for a more convincing story.

P.S. Do externships for ortho or OMFS if you can.

Not sure if this is in the right forum, but im sure you guys here know much more about getting into specialty programs than the pre-dents..

My question is Does going to Pacific for your DDS diminish your chances of getting into a competitive specialty such as OMFS or Ortho?

Pacific is one of my very top choices, and i would think i would most likely not specialize but want to keep my options open..

Board scores, class rank, research (esp. ortho), and a good story.

UoP might even be an ADVANTAGE for OMFS, because if I am correct, they do not have an OMFS residency, therefore you don't refer the hard cases to residents; you do them yourselves. Makes for a more convincing story.

P.S. Do externships for ortho or OMFS if you can.

I just got back from the UoP OMFS interview. There were a lot of UoP grads there. Loved the program. Very solid 4yr OMFS.

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated from UOP and I specialized in Ortho and didn't have a problem. By graduation 20% of my class went to specialty schools and there are more and more of my classmates each year going into specialty after practicing for a couple years. We did everything at UOP, so you really get to know what you want to do by the time you graduate or need to apply for specialty. UOP is the best, you won't regret your choice.

Pacific is good and bad for specializing. No specialty programs here means you get to do more. Ex: my first endo was on a Mn 2nd molar, and all of my endos have been on molars, still waiting for a nice easy anterior case. 3 years means less time for doing externships. Some schools have time built in to the curriculum to allow for externships (at least that is what I thought), little time at UOP, you're pretty much limited to one summer,