UoP vs Nova

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future09Dentist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know where to go to dental school. I got accepted to both UoP and Nova. And I really like both!!! I have an interview at UF Jan 7, so I have to put a deposit on one school (UoP or Nova). I have always wanted to go to UF but after interviewing at the other schools, wow I thought they were great. New equipment and facilities, plus both in great cities. Where should I go? Not sure why I have such a late interview with UF....

Members don't see this ad.

Where are you from? UF is a crapshoot if you aren't a florida resident. They have 10 spots for out of staters...

I managed to get on their waitlist, but I don't assume they have much turnover.

UoP ...its only 3 yrs

Members don't see this ad :)
UoP ...its only 3 yrs

Yeah, that's true, but the three year program is a mixed blessing. When I interviewed there, the students babbled about how cool it was to live in SF, however, most acknowledged that they don't really have time to do much else than study. Why move to such an expensive place if you aren't going to have the time to actually experience it?

I'm still trying to make up my mind...

Where are you from? UF is a crapshoot if you aren't a florida resident. They have 10 spots for out of staters...

I managed to get on their waitlist, but I don't assume they have much turnover.

UF has a very low turnover rate. They told me last year they had 1 person give up there spot, thats it. Being waitlisted there is pretty much slim to none as in chances of getting in.

I think UF interviews more than 10 out of state students and accepts more than 10. I think the "10" is the number of out-of-staters that matriculate. I interviewed at and really liked UF but if you are not a Florida resident, and don't intend to become one, then I would not suggest it. My only reasoning for this is because they have their own licensing exam in Florida rather than being part of a regional exam. It makes a lot more headache for you if you want to go anywhere else to practice.

From what I hear (although don't quote me) Nova is a relatively new program so it isn't quite as "established" if that matters to you. From my experience at U of P, the students love their relationship with each other and the faculty. They are called "Dr." from the first day and the faculty seems to value the students' input. I love U of P and if I wasn't so interested in specializing it would be my 1st choice in a heartbeat. Heck, I'm still considering it despite my acceptances to more prestigious research oriented (for specialty) schools.

That said... PACIFIC over Nova any day!

Wait, you'll get into the same amount of debt, but achieve this investment in 3 yrs or 4 yrs....
Congrats on acceptance into Nova and UOP
Get out a year quicker and start on the loans or specialization. Although we do have better weather, in the winters!

On that list I wouldn't even consider NOVA an option. UF is great if you are in state, but if you are out of state it may not be such a great deal. If given the opportunity I would be at UF in a heartbeat because I am in state. However it is a very competitive and stressful school, and this year they redid their clinics from clinics separated by discipline to one all inclusive clinic so while that is a step in the right direction I imagine they have some kinks to work out.

If I was you I would put that deposit on UoP and if you are accepted to FL then make a choice.

Thank you everyone for your responses. To add to the confusion, I just got a call from MUSC and was accepted!!! I am a Florida resident and I was on the UF alternate list last year (it was the only school I applied to last year and I applied the very last day). This year I applied in September to all four schools and UF contacted me for an interview Dec 1st.

Weather is important to me, not sure about the "London of the West" San Francisco.

UoP vs Nova vs MUSC vs January UF Interview????? :cool: