uot pharmacy admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

klitoz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI everyone !

can someone give me some info and tips about the uot pharmacy school (admission info, gpa requiered and extracurricular activities) and is it recomendable going into uot scarbrough for pre-pharmacy?

thanxs:D

Members don't see this ad.

All of the information for the UofT pharmacy is on their website (pre reqs and stuff).
What i recommend for you to get in:
1.) don't do prepharm at uoft st. george. Anywhere else will be easier and you will definitely do better in organic chemistry I. Chm138 is very hard at st george and you getting into UofT's pharmacy program is extremely contingent on your first year chemistry mark.
2.) Do as many ECs as you can because they always help any applications.
3.) You have to write the PCAT now to get in I believe; they changed their program to a Pharm. D.

Just to follow-up on this:

1) I don't have any recommendations on where to do your pre-pharm. I did mine at U of T St. George and I like it here. But everyone has different experiences with the university, so I can't really make any recommendations. What I do want you to know, however, is that U of T Pharmacy rarely accepts organic chemistry courses done outside the university. So you will probably have to take CHM138 and CHM247 if you take it outside the university. Some courses ARE accepted for exemptions, so do make sure you check with the registrar.

2) I agree.

3) Starting with the 2009 admission cycle, PCAT results will be required. The new PharmD program will be initiated in 2010 at the EARLIEST. This new program will replace the BScPhm program and will require at least 2 years of pre-pharmacy studies as opposed to the minimum of 1 year required by the current BScPhm program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Regarding pre-pharm, I agree that you should do it anywhere BUT U of T - your marks will be at least 10% better at any other university, I guarantee you. Also I disagree that U of T rarely accepts orgo from other schools; plenty of people in my class took it elsewhere and got exemptions. What's important is that you take a full year of orgo (i.e. 2 semesters) with a lab. The people who didn't get exemptions for orgo from other schools had either not taken a lab component or only had one semester.

In terms of EC's, I totally disagree with the first 2 posters. Maybe they're changing the application process for the PharmD but when I applied two years ago, U of T looked at two things and two things only - your marks and your UTPAT score. They don't give a crap about your EC's, or if you've had pharmacy experience. If you like to do ECs and spending time on them doesn't lower your GPA, then do them - but don't do it just for your application... unless you're also applying somewhere that looks at them.

A lot of people took chemistry elsewhere and was not granted exemption status due to different course structuring. Not many universities split the organic chemistry course into two like St. George does (heck, even UTSC offers it as a second year full-year course) so people who do only one year may have trouble getting exemption for CHM138. THIS is what I am referring to: the discrepancy between U of T St. George's course organization and that of other universities. As a result, even people who took orgo at UTM had to take orgo again in Pharmacy due to these differences.

While U of T does not look at your EC's, it would be highly dangerous to NOT do EC's as other schools DO look at them. Limiting your option to U of T pharmacy is very risky unless you are certain you will excel in term of GPA and PCAT (UTPAT will no longer be used starting next year). I apologize for not explaining more my advice, but EC's will help. Even if it's just to help you gain some exposure to the profession.

I also 2nd the "not going to UofT"

I see what you mean re:chemistry; I didn't realize you were talking about first-year chem at other schools vs. UofT CHM 138.

Also I do completely agree re: EC's that expose you to the profession - if I had to recommend volunteering at a pharmacy vs. being student council president, I'd recommend the volunteering. I am going into my third year of pharmacy and there are people in my class who STILL have no pharmacy experience outside of our school rotations, which I think is silly. If you're spending (or if you mom and dad are spending) $12000 a year for pharmacy tuition, I think you should have an idea of what you're getting into. This is especially true because pharmacy school teaches you all about the warm fuzzy side of the profession, but doesn't teach you anything about the reality of community practice :)