Upcoming cycle game plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pre-doc_93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying this year to DO schools and have narrowed my choices down to 17 schools who have around the same GPA averages as me, around a 3.55 cGPA and a 3.52 sGPA (with 3 non-science retakes). I plan on taking my MCAT July 18. If someone could tell me if my game plan looks good for this upcoming cycle, I'd appreciate it very much. Thank you.

Step 1) Complete AACOMAS central application in June when it opens up and submit it.

Step 2) Send out secondary applications and LORs to schools during my month long wait for MCAT scores to release. My MCAT score will release mid-August.

*Do schools send invites for the secondary application to students who don't have an MCAT score yet or do schools send out secondary applications after receiving MCAT scores?*

Step 3) Submit MCAT scores to AACOMAS and then wait for schools to get back to me. This will be around mid-August.

Step 4) If I am invited to interview with a school, prepare for the interview.

Does this game plan sound correct? I am trying to wrap my upcoming application cycle around my head so that I am prepared and hopefully have a successful cycle.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Good plan but note a few things. (1) The AACOMAS central app opens in May but you cannot submit it until June. (2) I know from applying before taking the MCAT that some schools will send secondaries without an MCAT but others will require the MCAT (3) You could take the MCAT again in late August or even September since most DO schools interview until at least February.

Usually you submit LORs with your secondary applications (i.e. only after you are invited to fill in the secondary). I believe you cannot verify your primary without a MCAT score. That means it will be late September by the time your primary is verified (takes about 1.5 months for verification around mid-August). It will take at least a week after your primary is released to each school for the schools to send you secondaries. If you fill out each secondaries on the day of receiving them, it would take another 2 weeks for all the LORs to be received and applications completed. You are realistically looking at earliest mid-October for the admissions to start considering your applications for interviews. Though mid-October is not late by any means, you should be prepared for the neurotic few months until your first interview invite.

Members don't see this ad :)
Usually you submit LORs with your secondary applications (i.e. only after you are invited to fill in the secondary). I believe you cannot verify your primary without a MCAT score. That means it will be late September by the time your primary is verified (takes about 1.5 months for verification around mid-August). It will take at least a week after your primary is released to each school for the schools to send you secondaries. If you fill out each secondaries on the day of receiving them, it would take another 2 weeks for all the LORs to be received and applications completed. You are realistically looking at earliest mid-October for the admissions to start considering your applications for interviews. Though mid-October is not late by any means, you should be prepared for the neurotic few months until your first interview invite.
The verification with MCAT statement is incorrect. In fact last summer I got my app verified and got plenty of secondaries from both MD and DO schools before taking the MCAT at all. Only some schools require the MCAT before giving out a secondary app.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like a plan. However, I suggest taking the MCAT when you are ready and do not rush anything. A poor MCAT can truly break your app. Best wishes.

Reactions: 1 user