update/ interest letter/ freaking out

Started by chemphd
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chemphd

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here's the situation.

As you may or may not know, I have a certain dream school.

The day I was at the interview I felt really good about things. In the month-plus since then, I have been freaking out about the interview. Specifics include: Was I too negative about my current department in grad school (I said in the context of a conversation about diversity that the old guard in my dept. wants a bunch of people who look like them and talk like them, and it's not conducive to this where I currently am)? The interviewer interrupted me, so I never got to give my spiel on why dream school is the neatest thing since sliced bread and how I would be a fantastic fit. etc. etc. (Probably unwarranted freaking out).

This is getting long winded, so I'll get to the point. They take update/ interest letters. So- I'm going to update them next week when I submit a paper (yay!) and I was considering adding to that letter a bit of the spiel I never got out on interview day. Are there suggestions on how to go about this? Would this be appropriate (or annoying)? (there I go, obsessing again🙄)

Thanks🙂
 
Yup, I think you're suffering from an unwarranted (but natural) post-interview-at-dream-school freakout. Don't sweat the details of your interview. What's done is done, and I'm SURE you're blowing little things out of proportion that the interviewer probably didn't give a hoot about.

I think that it's a great idea if there was nowhere in the secondary to write about why you love their school so much and why you'd be a great fit, AND given that you didn't get the opportunity to address that at the interview. I would consolidate it into your update letter. I guess I would try to start off by saying how I wanted to update them on X, and if at all possible, try to tie that into something I saw or learned about the school during the interview day. Then I'd mention other things that I thought were amazing, and conclude by explaining how I'd be a great fit. I wouldn't write more than one page though. :luck:
 
Good to know it's natural to have post-dream-school-interview-freakout. It makes me feel a bit better. I'll work on putting that letter together so I can send it the second my update (submitting a paper next week) is complete.

Thanks Phoenix!