Update letter for waitlists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ironmaidenrules

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to do an update letter for a couple of schools where I am on the waitlist. Not much is said about it and I am a little unsure about the format of the letter. I have done quite a bit this year in terms of more science classes, volunteering, and clinical exposure. I would like the schools to know I've been improving my application. Any suggestions??

Members don't see this ad.

ironmaidenrules said:
I'm trying to do an update letter for a couple of schools where I am on the waitlist. Not much is said about it and I am a little unsure about the format of the letter. I have done quite a bit this year in terms of more science classes, volunteering, and clinical exposure. I would like the schools to know I've been improving my application. Any suggestions??

Serious suggestions:
*address it to the dean of admissions by name. If it's a school where the interviewers sit on the admissions committee as your representatives, carbon copy your interviewers.

*keep it short and sweet with a clear brief description of each experience. If there's an explicit link between an experience and the particular school you're sending the update to, point that out. (I felt drawn toward your school's Program X during my interview day, so I have since become involved in ...)

*Don't include anything that's not really an update. Adcoms have a finite amount of time, so fluff isn't well received.

Members don't see this ad :)
...Or of course, you could simply copy/paste/send the following:

Dear School,

I'm making a late-in-the-game attempt to persuade you to accept me. In my continuing efforts to exhibit utter supremacy as an applicant, I have been perfecting my flawlessness over the past few months. I would like to fill you in on several exciting updates.

Over the past months, I have been volunteering with the Chuck Norris Hospice Care facility. The descriptive research study I co-authored in conjunction with this experience, entitled "A roundhouse kick to palliative care," has been accepted for publication in the July edition of Ladies Home Journal.

Recently, I break out in a rash each time I think about potentially being accepted to your school. I believe the rash indicates my delight over the prospect of matriculation, and therefore submit it as updated evidence of my fitness for your venerated institution.

Finally, I have immersed myself in science classes during the spring semester. I am currently taking 19 credits of blah-blah-blah-ology, and I embrace the elegance of scientific methods. I engraved the entire purine salvage pathway on a grain of basmati rice, and composed an interpretive dance that captures the drama of the aortic arch. I believe both of these activities demonstrate my preparation for success in the academic rigors of your medical school.

In conclusion, please, please, please accept me off your waiting list. I don't want to cry anymore.

Sincerely,
alternate listed student

Hope2010 said:

Dear School,

I'm making a late-in-the-game attempt to persuade you to accept me. In my continuing efforts to exhibit utter supremacy as an applicant, I have been perfecting my flawlessness over the past few months. I would like to fill you in on several exciting updates.

Over the past months, I have been volunteering with the Chuck Norris Hospice Care facility. The descriptive research study I co-authored in conjunction with this experience, entitled "A roundhouse kick to palliative care," has been accepted for publication in the July edition of Ladies Home Journal.

Recently, I break out in a rash each time I think about potentially being accepted to your school. I believe the rash indicates my delight over the prospect of matriculation, and therefore submit it as updated evidence of my fitness for your venerated institution.

Finally, I have immersed myself in science classes during the spring semester. I am currently taking 19 credits of blah-blah-blah-ology, and I embrace the elegance of scientific methods. I engraved the entire purine salvage pathway on a grain of basmati rice, and composed an interpretive dance that captures the drama of the aortic arch. I believe both of these activities demonstrate my preparation for success in the academic rigors of your medical school.

In concluscion, please, please, please accept me off your waiting list. I don't want to cry anymore.

Sincerely,
alternate listed student

:laugh:

My sister is telling me to send them an update letter stating that my sister is going to be moving to the nearby area with her husband. So, that would be another reason why I would want to go there.

Is that a good enough reason to send them an update...not much has changed since I interviewed and sent them an LOI

:laugh: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hope2010 said:

Dear School,

In concluscion, please, please, please accept me off your waiting list. I don't want to cry anymore.

Sincerely,
alternate listed student