Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Update letter (New Letter of Reference)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by Alfie99, 09.22.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Alfie99

Alfie99 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi all,

I was hoping for a little advice. When I wrote the AMCAS primary, I had been working a job for a couple of months. I have finally got a letter of reference from my current employer, but I submitted way back on 7/1 for a lot of my secondaries. Would it be wise to send this to schools that would accept updates/extra letters of references? For example, NYU, who accepts up to 10 letters, this would be my 10th letter.

I believe the reference is very strong, I didn't make it priority before as it would be my 3rd letter from a research supervisor.

Cheers
    Alf

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Mr Roboto

Mr Roboto 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If the first 9 didn't convince them to interview you, I have a hard time imagining a tenth LOR would make any difference.

Goro likes this.
  4. Afford

Afford

Medical Student (Accepted)
    10 letters? I feel that having so many hurts your application because you want the person to read only strong letters of recommendation and after a few, the person might skim through the rest or zone out.

5. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    Do you really think one more LOR is going to make a difference?

6. Alfie99

Alfie99 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    That is what I am asking. I am not sure. I know it will be a very strong letter of reference, and perhaps it is the case that it would make a difference at ONE of the schools I submit it to. Especially if I am very close to the score that grants an interview.

7. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    See Roboto's post above.

8. Alfie99

Alfie99 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Ahh, not if they are balanced from different areas and are close or equal in strength. I mean, a lot of schools have very lengthy secondaries that they willingly create and end up having to read 10,000 of them.

9. claduva94

claduva94 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I promise you 10 is probably overkill. I wouldn't send it.

About the ads