1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Hey, Guest, do you know how much will it cost you to apply to medical school? Check out SDN's Medical School Application Cost Calculator and plan your budget.

Update letter (New Letter of Reference)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Alfie99, Sep 22, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Alfie99

Alfie99 2+ Year Member

May 13, 2012
    Hi all,

I was hoping for a little advice. When I wrote the AMCAS primary, I had been working a job for a couple of months. I have finally got a letter of reference from my current employer, but I submitted way back on 7/1 for a lot of my secondaries. Would it be wise to send this to schools that would accept updates/extra letters of references? For example, NYU, who accepts up to 10 letters, this would be my 10th letter.

I believe the reference is very strong, I didn't make it priority before as it would be my 3rd letter from a research supervisor.

Cheers
    Alf

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Mr Roboto

Mr Roboto 2+ Year Member

Jul 31, 2013
    A galaxy far, far away...
    If the first 9 didn't convince them to interview you, I have a hard time imagining a tenth LOR would make any difference.

Goro likes this.
  4. Afford

Afford 2+ Year Member

Jul 29, 2014
    10 letters? I feel that having so many hurts your application because you want the person to read only strong letters of recommendation and after a few, the person might skim through the rest or zone out.

5. Goro

Goro 7+ Year Member

Do you really think one more LOR is going to make a difference?

6. Alfie99

Alfie99 2+ Year Member

May 13, 2012
    That is what I am asking. I am not sure. I know it will be a very strong letter of reference, and perhaps it is the case that it would make a difference at ONE of the schools I submit it to. Especially if I am very close to the score that grants an interview.

7. Goro

Goro 7+ Year Member

See Roboto's post above.

8. Alfie99

Alfie99 2+ Year Member

May 13, 2012
    Ahh, not if they are balanced from different areas and are close or equal in strength. I mean, a lot of schools have very lengthy secondaries that they willingly create and end up having to read 10,000 of them.

9. claduva94

claduva94 2+ Year Member

Apr 21, 2014
    MDApps:
    I promise you 10 is probably overkill. I wouldn't send it.