Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Update letter - should I mention it?

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by sunny1, Dec 19, 2008.

1. sunny1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I think I know the answer to my question - but I wanted to double check with you all.

In the next month I need to send an update letter reporting on my fall grades to a school I applied to. Should I mention that I had a baby too? I'm guessing definitely NOT since it might prejudice some adcom members against me. Am I right? Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dec0y

dec0y Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Don't mention it.

Unless you really want to. Legally they aren't allowed to discriminate, but then again you wont ever know if they rule you out based on this.

4. halekulani

halekulani Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    nope
    i definitely wouldnt. none of their business.

5. ChairmanMao

ChairmanMao Serving the People
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student

The general rule seems to be that you shouldn't mention anything that's deeply personal in your update letter. Think of it as an application or a cover letter for a job. You can say that you live close to the school or that your family is from the same state as the medical school - it adds a personal touch. However, anything beyond that such as marriages, pregnancies, deaths, etc. seems to be off limits since it hurts your professional image. In the the update letter, you might want to just mention any recent awards, publications, certifications, new grades, or ECs that you received for this semester and leave it at that.

6. ONUALUM

Pre-Medical
    How detailed should I be in describing ECs? Should I go into details similar to AMCAS, e.g. date, hrs, brief description, etc.?