Update letter - should I mention it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunny1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I know the answer to my question - but I wanted to double check with you all.

In the next month I need to send an update letter reporting on my fall grades to a school I applied to. Should I mention that I had a baby too? I'm guessing definitely NOT since it might prejudice some adcom members against me. Am I right? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think I know the answer to my question - but I wanted to double check with you all.

In the next month I need to send an update letter reporting on my fall grades to a school I applied to. Should I mention that I had a baby too? I'm guessing definitely NOT since it might prejudice some adcom members against me. Am I right? Thanks!

Don't mention it.

Unless you really want to. Legally they aren't allowed to discriminate, but then again you wont ever know if they rule you out based on this.

Members don't see this ad :)

The general rule seems to be that you shouldn't mention anything that's deeply personal in your update letter. Think of it as an application or a cover letter for a job. You can say that you live close to the school or that your family is from the same state as the medical school - it adds a personal touch. However, anything beyond that such as marriages, pregnancies, deaths, etc. seems to be off limits since it hurts your professional image. In the the update letter, you might want to just mention any recent awards, publications, certifications, new grades, or ECs that you received for this semester and leave it at that.

The general rule seems to be that you shouldn't mention anything that's deeply personal in your update letter. Think of it as an application or a cover letter for a job. You can say that you live close to the school or that your family is from the same state as the medical school - it adds a personal touch. However, anything beyond that such as marriages, pregnancies, deaths, etc. seems to be off limits since it hurts your professional image. In the the update letter, you might want to just mention any recent awards, publications, certifications, new grades, or ECs that you received for this semester and leave it at that.

How detailed should I be in describing ECs? Should I go into details similar to AMCAS, e.g. date, hrs, brief description, etc.?