update Step 2 CK score: email PDs or automatically released???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hippoppop

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, need some advice here.

Got my Step 2 CK score today, pretty impressive.....Do you think I should just let the USMLE transcript system in ERAS releases it to all the programs I applied automatically (I put down automatic update when I apply in ERAS), or should I email all the PDs about my lastest score, so that they are aware of my score and update my USMLE transcript through ERAS....

Tell me what you think.....now is the hottest period of getting interview, i do not wan to miss a chance...

thank you and good luck~

Members don't see this ad.

If you clicked automatically release USMLE scores then there's no need to send an e-mail to the PD's.

I just got my Step II and want programs to see the new score. When I initially completed eras, I did not select the "automatic retransmission." So I've gone back and selected to retransmit my USMLE transcript.

Is there anything else that I have to do? I've heard classmates say that our med school needs to send our USMLE transcript to our eras post office. That doesn't seem right to me though.

Also, In the tracking application section of eras, will I be able to see when my updated transcript is at the post office? And will I be able to see when schools re-download?

Thanks in advance.
Pam

When you retransmitted your USMLE transcript, you likely got the same prompt that I did, noting that it may take a couple of days for that transcript to be put into ERAS post-office. My score wasn't incredible, but a good enough increase that I felt like telling someone - so I DID email each and every program that hadn't sent me an invite yet. It could, of course be coincidence, but I got two invites before noon today, and two other emails back thanking me for the update, and noting when invites would be sent out. Sure this is anecdotal evidence, n=1, but why not shine some light on yourself?

I'd email the people just in case if I were you.

dc

I selected automatic upload for my step 2 scores also. My cs score was released last night, and one program had already uploaded my step 2 cs score this morning at 5 am before I had even seen it. 95% of the others had uploaded it by this afternoon so I guess they'll get it pretty quickly if they want to.

Last edited:
any more advice on this? (I am in the same boat and I'm sure many others are as well).

Thanks!

There is nothing else you need to do. If you manually retransmit your scores (or if they were automatically released) programs will get your new scores.

No need to email now. Everybody's waiting on Dean's letters anyway, so theyr'e definitely going to give your application a second look for interviews when those are released, so your new Step II will be noticed.

If this was like, late December/January and you just came home with a 270 Step II, it'd might be worth emailing places, even those you interviewed at to make them aware (IMHO).

Hey BigDan (or anyone else that knows),
How did you go about emailing the programs? Did you do it through ERAS or just through the contact info on each program's website? Thanks.

Hi,

Does anyone know- do program directors see if you automatically released vs. manually release the board scores....

Also, typically how long does it take to have board scores released from nbme once you release them - a couple days?

Thanks!

Hi,

Does anyone know- do program directors see if you automatically released vs. manually release the board scores....

Also, typically how long does it take to have board scores released from nbme once you release them - a couple days?

Thanks!

No, we cannot tell.

Usually just a few days.

You can see when we take step 2, right? I think I remember on ERAS saying "will take." Say you have that box checked, and you take it in like November, do worse than step one, and checked the box NOT to transmit scores. How likely is it that a program will look at the fact that you've taken the test and yet not transmitted the score, and put two and two together and figure out that you must not have done that well? I ask because I'm concerned that I may end up in this situation, and want to know how to handle it. thanks!