Update worthy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JCha360194

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Early applicant submitted 1st week of July. Non-trad. I'm interested in sending updates to two seemingly update-friendly schools that are my top choices but haven't heard from. Not sure if "significant," would like opinions of current/past adcoms and students who served on admissions, please?
  1. New position as Project Manager of Clinical Operations. 500 hours so far managing global Phase III clinical trials
  2. Just delivered oral presentation at a global conference for research related to my previous role as a Research Assistant (mentioned on primary app activities under presentations as an accepted abstract)
Many thanks for anyone's input!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Not likely to move the needle
Thank you for your reply! I'm submitting a paper in October. If I hear back in November/December and it's a provisional acceptance, could pairing these updates with the paper move the needle? It would be a public health journal related to the research I just presented.

Members don't see this ad :)
Early applicant submitted 1st week of July. Non-trad. I'm interested in sending updates to two seemingly update-friendly schools that are my top choices but haven't heard from. Not sure if "significant," would like opinions of current/past adcoms and students who served on admissions, please?
  1. New position as Project Manager of Clinical Operations. 500 hours so far managing global Phase III clinical trials
  2. Just delivered oral presentation at a global conference for research related to my previous role as a Research Assistant (mentioned on primary app activities under presentations as an accepted abstract)
Many thanks for anyone's input!
If #1 wasn't mentioned on the Primary application, I would find it interesting to learn about. #2 was addressed already on the Primary, but it won't hurt to confirm that the presentation took place. A publication [in press] is certainly worth mentioning. Is there anything else you can add to an Update communication, like added hours with your volunteer position?

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your reply! I'm submitting a paper in October. If I hear back in November/December and it's a provisional acceptance, could pairing these updates with the paper move the needle? It would be a public health journal related to the research I just presented.
Pubs are worth updates to schools that accept updates.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi OP. I would definitely skip #2 since it was on your primary application already. #1 might be worthwhile since it is a solid research/leadership position. If you expect your paper to be accepted soon, I would put these together in a single update to schools. It is better to not do two separate updates so close to each other.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you everyone! It seems the consensus is to group all the minor updates with the pub into a singular update, or pubs alone are strong enough updates.