Update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

familyaerospace

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know how many people have heard, but they kicked me out of medical school for being transsexual after all this work on SDN and studying and applying, etc. If anyone needs me, I am now in private practice as a hypnotherapist and trying to get into a psych program. There are no politics there. Every day I wish medical school was more kinder, but live and learn I guess.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
wow I'm speechless.

I don't know how many people have heard, but they kicked me out of medical school for being transsexual after all this work on SDN and studying and applying, etc. If anyone needs me, I am now in private practice as a hypnotherapist and trying to get into a psych program. There are no politics there. Every day I wish medical school was more kinder, but live and learn I guess.

While I'm sorry you got kicked out, I hope you enjoy the 7 figure settlement a good lawyer could get for you.

Or, first time i've ever said this, is Caribbean a viable path at this point?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you see the post in pre-allo about whether MCG was a nice place for LGBT?

Good luck!

How were your grades, OP?

How is it even possible to get kicked out for being trans? Isn't that completely illegal?

Did you see the post in pre-allo about whether MCG was a nice place for LGBT?

Good luck!

I did not, but you can have the OP contact me or you can tell them directly that you have it on very very good authority from one of your LGBT advisees that it is not.

It's not illegal. Being transsexual is not a protected class.
I know someone who is still living off the settlement they got after being fired for being gay even though that wasn't a protected class. There is precedent for trans being a protected class under the category of gender discrimination.

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't really followed your story but I'm curious, what excuse did the school give you for kicking you out? They couldn't have explicitly said it was because you're transsexual- I mean that's opening themselves up to a huge lawsuit and I can't imagine they'd be stupid enough to say that.

I haven't really followed your story but I'm curious, what excuse did the school give you for kicking you out? They couldn't have explicitly said it was because you're transsexual- I mean that's opening themselves up to a huge lawsuit and I can't imagine they'd be stupid enough to say that.

This is a long ongoing story which Goro knows well.

After I left they said because transpeople are F*ed up. And they even said as much to a visiting transsexual lecturer that transpeople were all nuts. That was from one of the deans, I even confirmed with the person they said that too. The lecturer who was also trans. They also accused me of rape and kicked me out because I could not provide a sperm sample (I don't have a penis) and that was because this woman who hated Jews (she was AA) and falsely accused me of rape. She had threatened me with a knife several times and threw me into a wall. That was just the most event and there was so many more things like me being assaulted and was in the hospital a number of times when in school because I was assaulted on and off campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
While I'm sorry you got kicked out, I hope you enjoy the 7 figure settlement a good lawyer could get for you.

Or, first time i've ever said this, is Caribbean a viable path at this point?

None of the lawyers so far want to hit up the school (Goro suggested well over a year ago to lawyer up) although don't you think I wasn't considering Caribbean or DO again.

Ah. I think I understand. Good luck, OP, and I hope you get the help that you need.

None of the lawyers so far want to hit up the school (Goro suggested well over a year ago to lawyer up) although don't you think I wasn't considering Caribbean or DO again.
I only know what I've read in this thread, but there are activist minded lawyers, and there are others that only take safe, easy, overhead-covering cases. I suggest the former. Lots of young guns trying to become superstars off big civil rights cases.

I don't know the whole story, but I'm so sorry you've been put through all that. Truly, no one should ever have to face this type of treatment for anything, let alone wanting to just pursue an education. Hopefully there are lighter and kinder days down the road.

I hope you find happiness in whatever you end up with

As represented this is terrible and I'm very sorry for your experience. I can't say that I am all that surprised given some of my own experiences in this part of the country. I am not a legal expert by any means but I wonder if the ACLU would be helpful. This sounds like something that might be up their alley.

Report LGBT/HIV Discrimination

Reactions: 2 users
I'm really sorry to hear that. I know you worked really hard to get accepted, and it's got to hurt so much to get kicked out over their ignorance.

OP,
Your post history notes you were repeating MS1. Why were you repeating and do you think that was a contributing factor in your dismissal?

Last edited:
After I left they said because transpeople are F*ed up. And they even said as much to a visiting transsexual lecturer that transpeople were all nuts. That was from one of the deans, I even confirmed with the person they said that too. The lecturer who was also trans. They also accused me of rape and kicked me out because I could not provide a sperm sample (I don't have a penis) and that was because this woman who hated Jews (she was AA) and falsely accused me of rape. She had threatened me with a knife several times and threw me into a wall. That was just the most event and there was so many more things like me being assaulted and was in the hospital a number of times when in school because I was assaulted on and off campus.

Hmm. I think some people are missing the point here. I've quoted OP's narrative above.

OP was in the hospital a number of times when in school.

Guys, please use your deduction skills and act accordingly. Take time to reflect on the nature of this issue, and please refrain from putting on your litigation hats; it could make the situation worse.

This is a long ongoing story which Goro knows well.

this is so wrong on many level, how can you rape her if you even have a penis; and how stupid is the school to even request for a sperm sample after that fact. You should sue them, you already lost too much to let it go. There must have been some paper trail or eye-witnesses

this is so wrong on many level, how can you rape her if you even have a penis; and how stupid is the school to even request for a sperm sample after that fact. You should sue them, you already lost too much to let it go. There must have been some paper trail or eye-witnesses

Please understand that universities do not demand sperm samples from their students, period; it's just not something that happens. It may happen inside someone's mind, though. Do you understand?

Read my post above. While you may have good intentions, you are very likely making the situation worse.

Reactions: 3 users
@DrBowtie I was sexually assaulted (for being trans) and robbed during the first month of medical school during M1. I was then physically assaulted on campus getting injured three more times that semester including several hits to the head. So that was four times in three months of hospital time (I was held for observation a few times). Then I went in when on my LOA for emergency surgery which was for something that they could have fixed when I was in the hospital but I was misdiagnosed. My gall bladder exploded is what they said. They said it likely went a few weeks prior to me coming in based on the labs and my history. Apparently I was very, very septic and they were really amazed that I drove myself. I told them I was too stubborn to die just yet. One of the medical students stayed with me that entire week. Same student that took me to the hospital on at least one other occasion and who had to take some of the notes for me because I was not entirely able to fend for myself.

And yes, the ACLU was contacted last year. I have at least 75 pages of documentation regarding this whole incident.

There is a papertrail of my issues with providing a sperm sample and the reason given both to the police (both school police and "real"), to the school (as they try to keep it internal), and the Title 9 coordinator. Only a sperm sample (per the school in email) would clear my name. Title 9 said they needed evidence I was female to go against the deans (orally). They had letters from my obgyn saying effectively "I have seen his genitals as he comes in for his pap every year without fail. There is no evidence of a penis or testicles." and info such as LMP and my transition history. What is really bad is if they had waited a few months, Dr Dott could have pointed out the huge tumour in my uterus (it's benign and we think we got all of it removed). There are more people who have seen my equipment (or lack there of) in this town than in any other place I have ever been in. That includes the police.

The weird thing is I transferred to another college in the university and about 2 months, the med school's HR from the school (yes specifically the HR that does the medical school) wanted me to donate hypnotherapy sessions to medical school faculty because I am listed as a former student. Needless to say, they did not get those. I was probably very unprofessional towards this poor HR lady. My new advisor (who is also a clinical psychologist at the medical school) says she has heard all that and worse and has heard and seen many horror stories from the med students and she is surprised they treated me so well. I guess well and not well are relative. My current work will probably help maintain more clinical skills while paying off these loans so I might be able to try again in a few years.

Oh Aero... I am not sure if you read here anymore; my heart just broke in a million pieces. Goro has been given some information and will wait to see if there is any response.

Of all the people I cheered and hoped for, you were at the top of the list. Actually, I still do cheer/hope for you that greater good is coming your way.

I wonder if there would be another school that would be sympathetic to what has happened to you and want to recruit you for being trans

I know of at least one school where diversity is this highly prized

I am shocked to hear of what has happened to you, rest assured that while I can't speak to how hostile medicine is towards transpeople, there are not only supportive people in the profession but supportive institutions

it doesn't undo the massive injustice done to you, but I hope it is hope for you and the rest of us too