Updated PTCE After 11/1/2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kcpmd91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just looked into the new PTCE that is effective from 11/1/2013. Well, I know that the previous exams before 11/1 were pretty easy (just laws and calculations mainly). Yet, I am now worried about the new version since its breakdowns seems pretty intense. Had anyone taken the new version?? Can someone give me some suggestions in studying for this new exam?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just took mine today and passed! It wasn't too difficult; in fact, a lot of the questions you could somewhat figure out using common sense. With limited time, I spent maybe ~3 whole days studying using Mosby's Review book, 2nd edition and it was really helpful! Be absolutely sure you are comfortable with laws, calculations, and drug names/classification. If you get Mosby's review, read through those subjects and skim through the rest. Pay attention to anything regarding insurance, compounding, hospital pharmacies-- I had a good amount of those! Use the knowledge blueprint as a general checklist of things to cover. Then do as many of the provided practice tests (there are several in the book + the included CD) as you can and you'll be all set!

Just took mine today and passed! It wasn't too difficult; in fact, a lot of the questions you could somewhat figure out using common sense. With limited time, I spent maybe ~3 whole days studying using Mosby's Review book, 2nd edition and it was really helpful! Be absolutely sure you are comfortable with laws, calculations, and drug names/classification. If you get Mosby's review, read through those subjects and skim through the rest. Pay attention to anything regarding insurance, compounding, hospital pharmacies-- I had a good amount of those! Use the knowledge blueprint as a general checklist of things to cover. Then do as many of the provided practice tests (there are several in the book + the included CD) as you can and you'll be all set!

What/how exactly did you memorize for the drug names/classification? Did you memorize all 200 most prescribed drugs or the generic names?

Members don't see this ad :)
What/how exactly did you memorize for the drug names/classification? Did you memorize all 200 most prescribed drugs or the generic names?
I aimed for the Top 200 brand+generic names, but probably only got to cover about half of that, or even less. Flashcards, flashcards, flashcards!

Thank you So mUCHH

Great post! Inspired me to even move on forward :D

Good luck!! :)
hey, i just bought mosby's review 3ed.

I feel like this book has tons of unnecessary information. For example, for pharmacology, do we have to know everything from the book? Or 200 drug names/classifications are enough for pharmacology? man.. this book has every bit of detail on everything..

I bought 2 books: Delmars and Mosbys. Mosby's is more detailed while Delmars is more straightforward/written for the layman...a much easier read. I studied Delmars for 2 days and passed on first try (no pharm experience). Delmar has a GREAT math section...if you go through every page and do all the practice problems, you will not miss any math/calculation problems on the exam. I skipped the pharmacology section as it was too detailed and just memorized the top 100 drugs instead in the appendix...for the generics I learned all the roots/stems so I could figure out what the drug's action was. Good luck!!

Hey, I just bought Mosby's 3e too, what sections should I focus on particularly? I also think there is a bit too much information. I take the exam next week and I just want to pass so I can stop freaking out. Thanks!

Hey, I just bought Mosby's 3e too, what sections should I focus on particularly? I also think there is a bit too much information. I take the exam next week and I just want to pass so I can stop freaking out. Thanks!

Hello there,

To be honest, if you buy the official Practice PTCE straight from PTCB (https://www.ptcb.org/get-certified/prepare/practice-exam#.V4-XyvkrKYk), it is *eerily* similar to the actual test. I took the practice test a few days before and made a 65% (FAIL), then when I took the actual test, I received a 96% (PASS).

All I did was study the concepts from this quizlet (general, not each one; heck, I didn't know the top 200 drugs), reviewed the DEA order forms and what they meant, the acts & laws, and definitions for pharmacy lingo (see the quizlet), and what I missed on the practice. Link to quizlet: https://www.ptcb.org/get-certified/prepare/practice-exam#.V4-XyvkrKYk

Good Luck! I'm sure you'll do fine :)

Hello there,

To be honest, if you buy the official Practice PTCE straight from PTCB (https://www.ptcb.org/get-certified/prepare/practice-exam#.V4-XyvkrKYk), it is *eerily* similar to the actual test. I took the practice test a few days before and made a 65% (FAIL), then when I took the actual test, I received a 96% (PASS).

All I did was study the concepts from this quizlet (general, not each one; heck, I didn't know the top 200 drugs), reviewed the DEA order forms and what they meant, the acts & laws, and definitions for pharmacy lingo (see the quizlet), and what I missed on the practice. Link to quizlet: https://www.ptcb.org/get-certified/prepare/practice-exam#.V4-XyvkrKYk

I just took it today and the preliminary results said I passed!

Would you mind letting me know the breakdown of your exam? I'm taking mine on 08/15 and I'm freaking out!

Hello there,

Hello there,

Hi,
Can you send me the link to quizlet? because the link you posted is for the practice PTCE. I would really appreciate it.
Thank you in advance,