UPenn admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laitmanvet

c/o 2015 - now interning it
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a PA resident and currently work in research. I've been lucky enough to know people at the vet school (both in research and the admissions office) who have all said to me that its far easier to be admitted with in-state status. I'm convinced this is true, but anyone know stats on this?

I also have a master's degree and I can't find any solid stats on students admitted with grad degrees.

Thanks and good luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say "far easier." Penn takes fully half its class from OOS applicants. A far cry from what the other vet schools do, which (except for Tufts) take a tiny, tiny number of out of state applicants, like 1-8. Penn takes 50% of its students from OOS, which means about 55 people. So that's a pretty huge difference.

So it depends on how many people from PA apply the year you do. So the odds are good, but it's not the same as being in-state for VA or Davis.

http://www.vet.upenn.edu/EducationandTraining/StudentAdmissions/FAQs/tabid/305/Default.aspx

Just wanted to add that Tufts is not the only school that takes a decent number of out of state students. Ohio, Kansas, and Minnesota also come to mind (though there are other schools that take more than 1-8 OOS students), as does Western which does not affiliate with any state (therefore all applicants are equal, as far as residency goes).

Members don't see this ad :)
So it depends on how many people from PA apply the year you do. So the odds are good, but it's not the same as being in-state for VA or Davis.

Look at the numbers for Davis, though.

Yeah, like 120 or so of the incoming class will be CA residents, but they will also have 500+ CA residents applying. More CA residents apply to UCDavis than non-residents, generally.

For Penn, they generally have like 250 in-staters and accept maybe 60-70, right?

So when you think about it, the odds are still about the same for an in-stater at Penn or Davis, despite the makeup of the class.

On the Penn Vet website (Angelus already linked to it) you can see that like 1200 OOS apply each year and 250 IS apply. Since the class is 50/50-ish OOS/IS, your chances of being admitted IS are significantly higher.

"far easier" is a subjective term phrase though, it is definitely easier though. It should be noted though that easier does not mean easy. It is still very competitive for IS students.

edit: I agree with Nyanko. I missed that post.