UPenn anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JSZ3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So who is planning on attending UPenn Prehealth program either starting in the summer or fall?

Members don't see this ad.

still waiting to hear back. they said my app was complete 4/6/07 (im applying to start in the fall). sooo hopefully i'll get in. did you hear back yet and when are you starting?

yeah, I just sent back ,my intent to enroll today for start in the fall

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be starting the program this fall.

I thought the apps for starting in the fall aren't due till july 15?

Spoke with someone in Pre-Health Admissions today who said that applicants for a summer start will know in two weeks, max. You are notified via snail mail.

Since, unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to pick up my life and be ready to go in under two weeks, I asked about deferment. She said that you can defer for up to four terms.

Good luck to all! :luck:

It's true, the applications aren't due until July 15. I applied early because I am just finishing up in the Peace Corps and wanted to have everything ready before I get back. Their admissions process is rolling, so you can apply whenever.

Seeing as how the PENN special science program pertains to undegraduate GPA, how is that an advantage over the true SMPs where grades go towards a "clean slate" graduate GPA?

What are the pros and cons?

Is PENN considered "successful" because of the prestige?

What, if any are the linkage schools that PENN has?

Answers GREATLY appreciated.

Seeing as how the PENN special science program pertains to undegraduate GPA, how is that an advantage over the true SMPs where grades go towards a "clean slate" graduate GPA?

What are the pros and cons?

Is PENN considered "successful" because of the prestige?

What, if any are the linkage schools that PENN has?

Answers GREATLY appreciated.

SMP programs as you said, are graduate programs and do not have any affect on your GPA...the special science program is comprised of a wide array of undergraduate upper level biology classes that provide a chance to literally improve your undergrad GPA. The only advantage of the SMP relative to Penn in my opinion is the masters degree. Penn's program is successful because contrary to the opinions of many NON Penn students, there is no grade inflation in Penn science classes and the courses are extremely rigorous. To do well here, you will really need to extend yourself and I believe that ad coms acknowledge this. In addition to the Penn name, this campus has tons and tons and tons of opportunities to get research and clinical exposure and in my experience, the professors are amazing.

3.1 UC Berkeley GPA, waiting for Apr 12 MCAT (thinking 29-32), SOLID extracurrics.....

University of Cincinnati
Georgetown
RFU
Drexel
Penn special science
Boston University

If the goal is to go to med school, which program would you choose and in what order? How does the competition at Penn compare to UC Berkeley?

I'm starting this summer in July. I've already taken all the pre-reqs and was told by Grace, the advisor, that I shouldn't re-take any classes. So that leaves me with either Cognitive Neuroscience or Human Reproduction and Sexual Differences. The former sounds more interesting, and more intellectualy challenging, but if the strategy here is to get the highest grades, the second one might be the better pick.

Any ideas? Anyone in the same boat?

I'm starting in the fall. Just sent in my letter of intent. Grace told me that I should take Intro Chem (I never took it because I AP'd out of it during undergrad) and retake Organic Chem. But outside of that, I don't know what else to take. I'm supposed to get a phone appointment scheduled so I can talk about that with her... but I wanted to see what kind of classes people were enrolling in for the fall. Is anyone taking classes that are not CGS night, such as SAS day classes? I know those are more expensive, but I want to be sure I'm taking the right classes to make 4 credit units as I will be a full-timer and need all the credits I can reasonably handle to boost my sciences GPA while taking the credits that are interesting enough to make all the work worthwhile. Hmm.

As a side note, anyone still looking for housing/roommates? Having just gotten my acceptance, I need to get started on the housing search. Are there more Aug 1 leases or Sept 1 leases? Can I reasonably expect to find an Aug 1 lease, or am I more likely to find places that are available Sept 1?

I plan on starting a post-bac program in spring 09, and I plan on applying to UPenn. They apparently only accept summer and fall applicants for the post-bac program, or so says their website, so I'd have to start in the summer if accepted. When I wrote them for information on their program, they responded quickly with documents as well as the actual application. So I'm impressed by that (Columbia still hasn't sent me so much as a sheet of paper).

If you select on-campus housing, you can request an early move-in through the Graduate Housing Office. Just tell them the date you'd like to move-in, and they'll approve it if they can find a room available for you (which is more than likely because most of the rooms seem to be empty from what I see).

I'm interested in the UPenn program, but probably for '09 as well, since I am going to be in France this year.

I'm still trying to decide if I do a post-bacc or a SMP, so if anyone has any helpful advice that'd be great!

I graduated from Duke '04- 3.55 overall GPA, but only 3.2 sciences (Hindi major, bio minor). If I do well in 8 courses, I can go to a 3.65 overall and move my BCP to 3.5. My extra-curriculars are strong (4 years volunteer EMT, published, work in Africa, and spent the last three years training and playing with the US National team for an Olympic sport), but I will need to take the MCAT.

Still not sure what is right, and my advisors are on the fence about whether or not a post-bacc is a good idea.

I like UPenn a lot because it has the SSP and it seems to send people to a lot of competitive med schools.

Thoughts on this? I will be playing professional sports overseas next year and was thinking of doing grad work abroad (but my advisor said it would be useless for US medical schools)- what about courses online? I know UPenn said some of their classes are offered this way.

For those of you who have already interviewed, how was it? Mine is next week and I was wondering what to expect. Thanks.

anyone already in the prog or can give me more info..i just got a request to be interviewed and was already thinking of going to barry for a masters in biomaedical science in miami so now im stuck betw if i get accepted at upenn what looks better attending an ivy league school w. no certificate or getting a masters, or does just goign there with the rigorous coursework look great!:) i :( i dunno. pls help i have a bs in bio but low gpa. thanx
:oops:

I think you'd be better off doing postbac if you're the person from UChicago.