upenn or ucla?

Started by gtdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gtdoc

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hi everybody, 😕 I don't have much time to decide, and I want to make the best choice, and I'm aware upenn has a big name and reputation, any opinions would be greatly appreciated 👍
 
gtdoc said:
hi everybody, 😕 I don't have much time to decide, and I want to make the best choice, and I'm aware upenn has a big name and reputation, any opinions would be greatly appreciated 👍

Hi,

I would say that u-penn is far better than UCLA.

Best of luck :luck:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here people are dying to get into UPenn and you are i a position to choose.....wow!
 
Hi gtdoc, Congrats on ur acceptance. go for upenn. 👍
 
Congrats gtdoc.

Don't be mislead by the reputation! There are aspects that matter a lot more than reputation. As far as I can tell, UCLA prepares you better to practice dentistry after gratuation and offers a more case and patient oriented education. I don't think that UPENNs reputation can outweight the benefits UCLA has to offer.

My suggestion: Go for UCLA

Good luck. 👍
 
GoDMD said:
Congrats gtdoc.

Don't be mislead by the reputation! There are aspects that matter a lot more than reputation. As far as I can tell, UCLA prepares you better to practice dentistry after gratuation and offers a more case and patient oriented education. I don't think that UPENNs reputation can outweight the benefits UCLA has to offer.

My suggestion: Go for UCLA

Good luck. 👍
hi godmd whats ur status and did u get anywhere
 
I'd go for UCLA!!!!!!!!!!!

UCLA is a 2 yr program...Upenn is 27months...just a little longer..that shudnt matter..though, AND UCLA is a lot cheaaaaaaaaper than Upenn. Upenn's students say that IVY LEAGUE is no big deal... and that you can do your best even if you're in another program. UCLA is one of the to most prestigious program too...

It's just that UPENN is so heavily discussed on this forum that people dont know how good the other schools are as well.

UCLA is, I believe, a state school....while Upenn is a private school= much higher tuition. Almost $40,000 more( for 2 years) I think...and well the summer program ($15,000) you have to pay out of pocket...THATS NOT FAIR. Its not included in the loan or scholarship.YOU HAVE TO PAY OUT OF POCKET....well so to say...right into their pocket, they dont want to share part of the summer tuition with the state- so they cant include it in the 2 year tuition.

Moreover, living in Philli is nothing compared to living in LA. To me it matters where I'd live for 2 years of my education. Its a cleaner neighborhood...Living in LA is so much better... The weather will be beautiful.. Wow I'm floating over california right this minute. hehe....

UCLA is very reputed for its research- If not more- but definately equal to that of UPENN. And If you're planning to go for residency- UCLA and UPENN's name weigh the SAME. If I were given a choice I'd take UCLA( as i'd wish to do residency, its a 2 yr program, no out of pocket money, thus not spending as much money on my DMD as I would if I were to chose Upenn)... SADLY, I was too late to apply to UCLA...

Well, all the veryyyyyyy best on your decision and good luck for your DMD!
 
Hi gtdoc,

Can i know which school u have chosen UCLA or UPenn? And also Can i know when is the last date for u to respond to UCLA?

Thanks and All the Best.
 
ok just a lil confused here. what's this residency you are talking about? i didn't know dentistry had residency...! could you clear this for me pls.


UABDentist said:
I'd go for UCLA!!!!!!!!!!!

UCLA is a 2 yr program...Upenn is 27months...just a little longer..that shudnt matter..though, AND UCLA is a lot cheaaaaaaaaper than Upenn. Upenn's students say that IVY LEAGUE is no big deal... and that you can do your best even if you're in another program. UCLA is one of the to most prestigious program too...

It's just that UPENN is so heavily discussed on this forum that people dont know how good the other schools are as well.

UCLA is, I believe, a state school....while Upenn is a private school= much higher tuition. Almost $40,000 more( for 2 years) I think...and well the summer program ($15,000) you have to pay out of pocket...THATS NOT FAIR. Its not included in the loan or scholarship.YOU HAVE TO PAY OUT OF POCKET....well so to say...right into their pocket, they dont want to share part of the summer tuition with the state- so they cant include it in the 2 year tuition.

Moreover, living in Philli is nothing compared to living in LA. To me it matters where I'd live for 2 years of my education. Its a cleaner neighborhood...Living in LA is so much better... The weather will be beautiful.. Wow I'm floating over california right this minute. hehe....

UCLA is very reputed for its research- If not more- but definately equal to that of UPENN. And If you're planning to go for residency- UCLA and UPENN's name weigh the SAME. If I were given a choice I'd take UCLA( as i'd wish to do residency, its a 2 yr program, no out of pocket money, thus not spending as much money on my DMD as I would if I were to chose Upenn)... SADLY, I was too late to apply to UCLA...

Well, all the veryyyyyyy best on your decision and good luck for your DMD!