Upenn or UVA premed postbacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nurse2Doctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am torn between the UVA or Upenn premed postbacc programs? Which do you think will have the most support and which do you think I will have a better shot of linkage too?

Members don't see this ad.

I am torn between the UVA or Upenn premed postbacc programs? Which do you think will have the most support and which do you think I will have a better shot of linkage too?

I've never even heard of the UVA pb program, I can't imagine I'm the only one.

I've never even heard of the UVA pb program, I can't imagine I'm the only one.

I second that. PM Robflanker if you want more info on the upenn pre-med post-bacc program and I suggest you read the UPenn thread in here as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope this thread hasn't been abandoned, because I need help.

I've been reading through threads and threads of topics, yet still have trouble deciding between UVA Pbpm and Penn Pre-Health.
My question is this- UVA's program is about 5 years old, but it has excellent academic support and a great advising system it appears. It also seems to offer the opportunity to do well, whereas with Penn it seems pretty hard to do well.

Both have a linkage to GW medical school, which I potentially would looove to go.

So, would choosing UVA over a more well-known name like Penn in the PBPM world screw me over, even though I feel I might have a better shot at doing well at UVA?

feedback would be amazing...

Coolcait: Both UVA and UPenn are solid institutions and it's silly to think that there would be much disparity when it comes to name recognition for pre-med coursework.

I went to UVA as an undergrad and I think UPenn might be a better option for a couple reasons.

1. UVA only has two linkage programs and they are new this year. So while you may think GW is the place for you now, why limit yourself right off the bat? Plus, no one from UVA has successfully linked to either Pittsburgh or GW because it's the first year. UPenn, therefore, has more well-established linkage programs and I suspect that matters.

2. Charlottesville is a pretty small town with limited opportunities to get involved. Even though the UVA program makes it sound like there are lots chances to volunteer at hospitals, etc., you'll be competing with a ton of super ambitious undergrads for spots. I would imagine Philadelphia has more opportunities.

Have you gotten into both programs? What were your impressions at the interview day?

Good luck!

I don't know anything about UVA but I'm starting at Penn in the fall... The opportunities to volunteer are limitless. I'm already starting with the HUP volunteer program this summer, as well as a clinical research program in the Emergency Dept, all before I even started pre req classes. In terms of grading, I have heard it's difficult at Penn because most classes curve. However, if u study your butt off (good prep for med school anyway) I don't think there will be a problem. The linkages are def well established at Penn... And the nice thing is, you don't have to complete everything in one year in order to link to several of the schools.

Hope that helps...

Thanks to both of you for the advice!

BluePassage: I have gotten into both programs. UVA was a phone interview, and I felt very comfortable talking to the director. I could immediately sense the experience I will be having at UVA, one of limitless support, which is frankly what I need.

Penn's interview was so so, the interviewer was very nice, but still I felt like I couldn't get a feel as to how many people succeed in the program, and it appeared that no one would care whether I do or not.

I've emailed a few students in the UVA program and all three got back to me with great reviews. I keep hearing that doing premed reqs. in one year is impossible, but they all tell me that it is not only doable but also possible to do very well in UVA's program.

But you make a great point about the linkage. I didn't realize how new it was at UVA, and this does make a difference.

thanks again!

I dunno where you got that it's hard or impossible to do the prereqs in a year, all of the top formal programs do it.

The UPenn thread stresses how hard it would be to complete the program in one year, so I suppose I am basing my perception on that.

Also, I think it's a personal thing too. I am a liberal arts student by nature, and science and math don't come easily. I thought that with my particular background, a one year post bac would be very difficult for me, and I am a bit afraid to rush it, since if I do, I risk doing just average or worse, poorly. That scares the life out of me. I am putting so much thought into this postbac program because I honestly believe it's my one shot at med school, and one wrong turn will hurt.

BUT I am extremely attracted to the idea of getting my prereqs done in one year, as I am so very tired of thinking about being a doctor and having that dream be still so far away.

I totally understand how you feel... I'm a political science/international relations major, so I thought the 1 year track was intimidating as well. And although I've ultimately chosen to do a 2 year track instead, I made sure it was in a location where I am able to fully take advantage of those 2 years. I wouldn't want a 2 year program somewhere remote, because there aren't as many volunteer opportunities, or nearby labs, etc, as there are some place like Philly.

If the one year completion is important to you, then by all means, make that one of your main deciding factors... the important thing is that you do well wherever you go. Only you know your capabilities and what you can handle.

The good thing about Penn, if you take advantage of one of the linkages, is that you really are there 2 years, and then begin med school in the fall. There are enough linkages for 2 year completion that it's not limiting. And worse case scenario, you take a gap year but work in a lab, or in one of the hospitals to stay connected to medicine.

Even if you complete elsewhere in 1 year, if you don't make those linkages because you were so bogged down with work you didn't have time to study the MCAT/score high enough, or you decide you don't want one of the limited linkages, you are stuck with a gap yr anyway...

Sorry if I'm rambling. This is kind of the internal discussion I had with myself when deciding. I was comparing Penn to a smaller liberal arts school program nearby that I was accepted to.

The UPenn thread stresses how hard it would be to complete the program in one year, so I suppose I am basing my perception on that
I think you might not be understanding the UPenn thread correctly...

If you don't get into the summer session then you cannot complete in one-year just due to logistics.

It can def be done in a yr, its just a busy yr...

But what I gathered from the thread is that while it is possible to complete prereqs in a year, it certainly would be hard to do well, would you agree?

Depends on what kind of life you want; you can do well but its gonna be hard work