UPenn pre-health (not SMP) classes- size? Are there recitations or subsections?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Back 4 Post Bac

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently deciding between Upenn, NYU and Georgetown for traditional post-bac (basic prereqs) and haven't found any good information about Penn's class schedule that answers my question. The undergrad classes have subsections in addition to lectures that meet 2-3 times a week. The CGS course listings, however, just show one mega-lecture once a week but no subsections.

Are there any recitations? If so, are they held on different days? If there aren't can a CGS student attend a "regular" subsection to get the benefit of the additional instruction? It depends on the size of the CGS classes but I have found that having a small group meeting helps reinforce the lecture material.

Thanks for the input. I have to make a decision between the schools in the next week or two since I'm starting in May so quick replies are very much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently deciding between Upenn, NYU and Georgetown for traditional post-bac (basic prereqs) and haven't found any good information about Penn's class schedule that answers my question. The undergrad classes have subsections in addition to lectures that meet 2-3 times a week. The CGS course listings, however, just show one mega-lecture once a week but no subsections.

Are there any recitations? If so, are they held on different days? If there aren't can a CGS student attend a "regular" subsection to get the benefit of the additional instruction? It depends on the size of the CGS classes but I have found that having a small group meeting helps reinforce the lecture material.

Thanks for the input. I have to make a decision between the schools in the next week or two since I'm starting in May so quick replies are very much appreciated.

Sorry Back 4 Post Bac - there are no recitations. If you need extra help with any of your science courses, you'll have to go the TA or find the prof during office hours. You could try going to the day students' recitations but often times they are so far ahead than us (since we only have class 1-2 times/week) that it's not even worth it. I tried this a few times when I first got to Penn and it just didn't work out. Most students get private tutors or just go to office hours regularly.

There were definitely recitations this year for CGS organic chemistry and CGS biology both semesters. The times were set up on the first day of class. We also had recitations for general chemistry last summer. Those were after class on non-lab days.

Members don't see this ad :)
There were definitely recitations this year for CGS organic chemistry and CGS biology both semesters. The times were set up on the first day of class. We also had recitations for general chemistry last summer. Those were after class on non-lab days.

Wow how nice! I wish I had that. I should say that if you have Dr. P for Gen Chem, you will have more recitations than anyone could wish for. I had totally forgotten about him - though I can't imagine why because I attended almost all of his extra sessions :eek: - and if you go to all of them, you should have no excuses about not getting an A in the class!!!

I spoke with Grace directly a few days ago and there are, in fact, recitations for the CGS classes. They may not be listed on the main course schedule page but are included in the official syllabi when the class begins.

Are there any other Penn postbac students who can give a review about their experience there? How do you feel about the long lectures once a week vs. meeting for shorter lectures more often during the week as the main undergrads do? It's crunch time for me- I'm making a decision within the next few days and am really hoping to get more first-hand info from people who have completed or are completing the program over the past year or two. Thanks!