UPENN Pre-Health Program - Help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Runner25

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was just admitted into UPENN's Post-Bac Pre-Health Program. I am really excited about this because I sure didn't think I would! Does anyone know if the program is supportive of people who may want to do a Physician Assistant program instead of Med School but haven't entirely decided (due to the fact that I haven't started yet!) Any input would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Runner25 said:
Hello, I was just admitted into UPENN's Post-Bac Pre-Health Program. I am really excited about this because I sure didn't think I would! Does anyone know if the program is supportive of people who may want to do a Physician Assistant program instead of Med School but haven't entirely decided (due to the fact that I haven't started yet!) Any input would be much appreciated!

whoa I don't know the answer to that. I'm starting the Penn program on Monday actually and it is a very "supportive" program in the sense that they do all they can to help and advise you on your path to medical school....did you mention PA school in your statement or your interview? I'd imagine you didn't....I think the bottom line is the program is exclusively for medical school but I've heard they are happy to guide those who are unsuccessful in the end (which i'm sure would include people who willingly change their minds)...I dont know if I'd be open about that up front given the emphasis on dedication and certainty to enter the medical field while they assess and write your committe letter and such....I think the issue is practical for you....would it be a waste of time and money to do the prehealth program? I know very little about PA school but i'd imagine that going through the program would only make you a more competitive applicant for PA school while knocking out your pre-reqs should u decide on med school. If the money, will, and time is there I'd say go for it!

Hey Chrissy,
Thanj you very much for the response. Good luck with all!

Chrissy said:
whoa I don't know the answer to that. I'm starting the Penn program on Monday actually and it is a very "supportive" program in the sense that they do all they can to help and advise you on your path to medical school....did you mention PA school in your statement or your interview? I'd imagine you didn't....I think the bottom line is the program is exclusively for medical school but I've heard they are happy to guide those who are unsuccessful in the end (which i'm sure would include people who willingly change their minds)...I dont know if I'd be open about that up front given the emphasis on dedication and certainty to enter the medical field while they assess and write your committe letter and such....I think the issue is practical for you....would it be a waste of time and money to do the prehealth program? I know very little about PA school but i'd imagine that going through the program would only make you a more competitive applicant for PA school while knocking out your pre-reqs should u decide on med school. If the money, will, and time is there I'd say go for it!

Runner25 said:

I can't say I'm positive about PA school, but I have known people to do the program for nursing, dental, and vet as well as med school, so I'd say they will probably be very open to the idea. You may just have to be a little more proactive with making sure you get any specific requirements that differ from typical pre med ones. Good Luck!