UPenn Special Science student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zambonia515

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to meet other UPenn special science students who are starting this summer or in the fall. I'm a 25-year old non-traditional student with an MPH and hospital administration background. The decision to return to medical school was largely a personal one in the midst of such a haywire career thus far. I was pre-med at Cornell but quit the route after a family tragedy.

I feel pretty alone in making this decision right now. Would love to meet other post-baccs who feel the same, and are relocating to a city they've never lived in.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. I'm starting at Penn in the fall in the Pre-Health program, not Special Science. I am 26 years old and I graduated with a degree in Theatre from a small Liberal Arts college. I am currently finishing up my second year teaching English in the Peace Corps in Bulgaria. I'm coming back to the US in two months, then moving to Philly sometime in August (...I guess...) whenever I find an apartment.

Medicine is a completely new career for me and I haven't studied science since high school, so it's going to be a real big challenge for me. I also have never lived in Philly.

Hi! Thanks for posting your story. Sounds like you've done a lot of exciting work. I always envy people who have gone abroad. My hope is to enlist in the Navy during my medical schooling partly so I get the chance to travel, but mostly so that my medical education will be free.

I heard the post-bacc program at UPenn is huge, so we shouldn't feel so alone once we get there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope so! Are you starting in the summer or fall?

Welcome to you all!!!!

Take Histology this fall...I'll be TA-ing...it's alot of fun

Zambonia,

i am considering the Navy, too. I will be attending Drexel this fall.

I'm starting in the summer. I think I saw some other Pre-Health student threads in this forum...

Yes, in fact, I was planning on taking that course. Are the upper level science classes at UPenn graded on a curve? Are there any pre-reqs I should be brushing up on for taking this class?

DrSumdae, that's cool you also want to join the Navy. Do you know what the qualifications are for enlisting (i.e. weight, height, health conditions, etc.)?

I was just wondering if any of you knew anything about the accelerated acceptance to Robert Wood Johnson Medical School that the UPenn Special Science Program mentions in the brochure. Specifically, I was wondering if any of you knew what the requirements were for this accelerated acceptance or if any of you have done the program - is it really hard to get/do they take a lot of Special Science students?

Thanks!

Hi Sara185,
No, but I'm interested in learning more about it too since I want to start med school in fall of 2008. We should ask Grace about it. Are you looking for a roommate by any chance?

Christina

Hi Christina -

I haven't decided yet but I'll let you know! I'm leaning towards an SMP (BU or UMDNJ) instead.

Hi!

If anyone's got any info regarding Robert Wood Johnson, I would love to learn more as well!

Also, I have questions for those of you in the Special Sciences Program--

I'm currently accepted to Drexel's IMS program, but I'm interviewing for the Special Sciences Program tomorrow--

do any of you have any thoughts about the two? Why did you pick the Special Sciences Program over any other program?

Much thanks!

Yes, in fact, I was planning on taking that course. Are the upper level science classes at UPenn graded on a curve? Are there any pre-reqs I should be brushing up on for taking this class?

No they are not. Your grade depends solely on your performance. If there is a curve it benefits you

Did anyone start UPenn's Special Science program in the summer? If so, do you have any advice in terms of classes to take and places to live? Also is anyone on here starting this summer?

Welcome new post-baccers!!! I am graduating from the Penn PB this summer :hardy: a have plenty of friends that are in the special science program so feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

As for living, I would advise staying below 40th St since it gets pretty sketch after that. I have friends that live in the high rises at 39th and Chestnut and 3131 Walnut. Check out craigslist for other ideas on where to live. There are plenty of students that live in Center City and beyond - some even commute from the Main Line suburbs or Manyunk, since they have cars. This is a website off the Penn housing webpage that has students rate different off campus housing they have lived in: http://www.business-services.upenn.edu/offcampusliving/index.php

Good luck and welcome!

Welcome new post-baccers!!! I am graduating from the Penn PB this summer :hardy: a have plenty of friends that are in the special science program so feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

As for living, I would advise staying below 40th St since it gets pretty sketch after that. I have friends that live in the high rises at 39th and Chestnut and 3131 Walnut. Check out craigslist for other ideas on where to live. There are plenty of students that live in Center City and beyond - some even commute from the Main Line suburbs or Manyunk, since they have cars. This is a website off the Penn housing webpage that has students rate different off campus housing they have lived in: http://www.business-services.upenn.edu/offcampusliving/index.php

Good luck and welcome!

Did you do the special science post bac and did it help you get to Med school? How will you rate the program overall?

Ancient thread - keep convos in the current theread

Hey did you do the Penn specialized studies post pac? If so, how is the program, have they helped people enter Med school? Do they offer MCAT classes?

Ask in the other thread and i'll answer.

its better to keep all the upenn stuff in one place so future students can read the whole thread and get the whole story