UPenn + Undergrad institution

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saluki

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, I just went on MDapplicants and looked at UPenn acceptances and almost everyone accepted was from a big name school. Are they snobs about undergrad institutions?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, you are really obsessing over UPenn. :p

I don't think it matters that much once you reach the interview stage. I know a couple people at Penn Med from top liberal arts colleges...and in the viewbook, there are profiles of med students from Oberlin, Lehigh, etc.

I'm obsessing in general. I come from a no name undergrad; I have little research in the sciences; and my main extracurricular is my job...

Members don't see this ad :)
I object to Oberlin being called "no-name" I say who cares if you no one has heard of your school cause you focus on academics instead of athletics and apparel...the rec letters you get from being at a smaller institution can definitely help errode the lack of a name on your diploma...people have got to be kidding themselves if they think the top 30 national liberal arts schools are "no names" within academia, and even the patriot league for that matter.

Eh, none of us can do everything, right????? You seem to be doing really well in this process, though. I wouldn't worry.

As a side note to the research thing: I guess schools like to see us do it, and it's a pretty good learning experience to try one's hand a benchwork. SO, why do interviewers ask things like "Why not go to grad school instead," especially when we also have clinical experience?

Also...is it really that unrealistic to plan to do some research in our future careers? I've been blabbering in all of my interviews about how I want to teach, do (some) research, and do clinical practice. My last interviewer totally shot me down, implying that I don't appreciate how research and clinical practice are each full-time jobs. Maybe he thought that I was planning to do basic research (what I'm doing now) and not clinical (which I have no experience in, but seems to be pretty darn common among MDs)?

Can someone please explain? Thanks.

snobored18 said:
I object to Oberlin being called "no-name" I say who cares if you no one has heard of your school cause you focus on academics instead of athletics and apparel...the rec letters you get from being at a smaller institution can definitely help errode the lack of a name on your diploma...people have got to be kidding themselves if they think the top 30 national liberal arts schools are "no names" within academia, and even the patriot league for that matter.

Whoa, I never said that Oberlin was a "no-name" school...I was listing it along with other "top liberal arts colleges."

I had just assumed that mashce was referring to the Ivies only as "big name schools." Believe me, I have tons of respect for liberal arts schools--I went to one myself.

mashce said:
OK, I just went on MDapplicants and looked at UPenn acceptances and almost everyone accepted was from a big name school. Are they snobs about undergrad institutions?

depends on the school!

Hahaha...I was trying to make a subtle point that just cause your next door neighbor who works in middle management at an insurance company has no idea about your school or even how to pronounce it correctly doesn't mean you are at a disadvantage compared to an ivy or a notre dame merchandising machine.