UPENN vs. UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which one? Thanks for your help!!

• UPENN

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • UCLA

Votes: 32 68.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Predent68

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would you pick?

Members don't see this ad.

As a UC grad, I think UCLA is overrated ( probably for the location and social life)

Both are good schools in their own ways. I would SITLL pick UCLA cause I don't want to leave Cali

Members don't see this ad :)
Both are well known schools
Both are really research-oriented
UCLA is significantly cheaper
Grading system (Penn) vs. P/F (UCLA)
Depends where you want to live for the next four years

Personally, I would pick UCLA so I can pocket that extra money. Good luck.

I would pick UCLA because I love California and I am not big on Pennsylvania (lived in both states). Both have unbelievable reputations. I'm not sure about the price difference in tuition, but I think that LA is more expensive to live in than Philly. Where do you want to practice in the future? Hopefully that will aid your decision as well. Congrats on getting into both of those great schools. :D

As you can see, every body is going for the location !

I would pick UCLA because I love California and I am not big on Pennsylvania (lived in both states). Both have unbelievable reputations. I'm not sure about the price difference in tuition, but I think that LA is more expensive to live in than Philly. Where do you want to practice in the future? Hopefully that will aid your decision as well. Congrats on getting into both of those great schools. :D

No question... definitely UCLA! Many of the CA students who came to Penn would have rather stayed in CA.

UCLA beause Pass/Fail grading system will REALLY REALLY PLAY a big role in your four years of dental school. Penn is probably the most cut-throat dental school in the nation since their cut throat grading system is the following:

H: 95-100
A: 90-94
B+...B...C+...C

They rank 1~10 students and after that no ranking...

And there is no curve on the exams usually 89.7 is a B+. They grade almost everything, your products at the lab etc. The past exams run around the school but students don't share exams, pretend they don't have one etc.

Cost: Penn is #3 most expensive dental school $ 86,000 / year with tuition increase every year. UCLA you can become CA resident after 1st year. Penn has very limited free money..grant limit $5,000 per year. You can get Dean's scholarship 1/2 tuition each year but even if you get the scholarship UCLA would be cheaper in the long run.

Ironic post because I came down to choosing between Penn and UCLA ultimately. I am not from either state and chose UCLA. P/F, WEATHER, LOCATION, and CHEAPER TUITION played as the main factors that tipped the scale. The one factor that was tough for me was which school would give me a better chance of specializing. UCLA has tons specialize but I am concerned whether P/F grades along with future P/F boards would put me at a disadvantage when applying. The whole class will be almost indistinguishable. ANY OPINIONS ON THIS?

Ironic post because I came down to choosing between Penn and UCLA ultimately. I am not from either state and chose UCLA. P/F, WEATHER, LOCATION, and CHEAPER TUITION played as the main factors that tipped the scale. The one factor that was tough for me was which school would give me a better chance of specializing. UCLA has tons specialize but I am concerned whether P/F grades along with future P/F boards would put me at a disadvantage when applying. The whole class will be almost indistinguishable. ANY OPINIONS ON THIS?

When the boards go P/F, there is going to be another exam for post-grad programs. So instead of using the board scores, they are going to use this new exam...

I guarantee you UCLA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Penn even if board becomes P/F. UCLA name itself will get you to specialize! Last year 18 UCLA graduates accepted to orthodontics. Penn is very out-dated, did you see their basement? 50 years old GRD lab and old chairs at the clinic.

I guarantee you UCLA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Penn even if board becomes P/F. UCLA name itself will get you to specialize! Last year 18 UCLA graduates accepted to orthodontics. Penn is very out-dated, did you see their basement? 50 years old GRD lab and old chairs at the clinic.

My friend is a 4th year at LA at right, he told me about 60% of his classmates are specialzing. That's borderline crazinesss.

I wonder why Penn is not remodeling their old basement, although their tuition is so expensive.

UCLA's facilities were nothing to write home to mom about. They were old and outdated also. At least Penn had that state of the art building (where you come first and meet all interviewees and Corky in room). Penn also had that cool sim lab room. UCLA was just an old hospital with no character. And the hang out room with the pool table was pathetic. Maybe I didn't see enough on my interview...But LA vs Philly is an easy choice!

From interview experiences, Penn would provide more clinical experience and UCLA might provide more research experience.

Thanks for all your input! I have made up my mind!

Last edited: