UPenn vs. UNC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiamiNole20

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to get input about the quality of these programs. Penn is obviously more expensive, but do you feel the added cost is worth it? At least in the south, UNC is a very respected program. The trouble is I had great experiences when I interviewed at both schools. Both programs & environments really impressed me. I have scholarships to both schools and at the end of the day, UNC would be about $70K cheaper (a significant difference). Thanks in advance for any replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm looking to get input about quality of these programs. Penn is obviously more expensive, but do you feel the added cost is worth it? At least in the south, UNC is a very respected program. The trouble is I had great experiences when I interviewed at both schools. Both programs & environments really impressed me. I have scholarships to both schools and at the end of the day, UNC would be about $70K cheaper (a significant difference). Thanks in advance for any replies.

You do realize how much MORE you will be paying in monthly loan payments (when you consider the current climate in interest rates) for that extra $70K?

Just a thought man. I have no affiliation with either program but I will be going to dental school in TX this summer.

My two pennies...UNC It's a fantastic school, and a fantastic program. At this level of the game, the differences are minimal. Save the $70K and put that towards starting your own practice when you're done.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm looking to get input about quality of these programs. Penn is obviously more expensive, but do you feel the added cost is worth it? At least in the south, UNC is a very respected program. The trouble is I had great experiences when I interviewed at both schools. Both programs & environments really impressed me. I have scholarships to both schools and at the end of the day, UNC would be about $70K cheaper (a significant difference). Thanks in advance for any replies.

fellow nole,

i would definitely choose UNC. both are great programs, but that $70,000 will be well over $100,000 when you factor in interest.

congrats & best of luck to you,
Hup :)

Love to see some fellow Seminoles getting into such great schools! Congrats on your acceptances, and I will go with the crowd and say 70k is a lot of $$$ so I would go with UNC. Good luck with your decision!

I doubt that that seventy grand will be financed at nearly 50% interest.

--Years down the road I don't think another seventy grand is going to make that much of a difference. I would go where you feel most comfortable and to the school that impressed you more and that can offer you what you really want to get out of a dental education. Even if I get into UNC in February I'll most likely still go to Penn. That cost difference is quite high. If you would really prefer Penn over UNC, then I would go. After you get out and make money the 70K probably won't make a substantial difference; you're going to be in debt either way.

Oh Yeah? Plug that $70,000 into an interest calculator at 6.8% and 20 years and see what number comes out. My $100,000 was lowballed by quite a bit.

It sounds as if you're trying to steer someone clear of UNC so a spot opens up for you. When comparing 2 quality programs separated by $70,000+, one would be a fool to choose the expensive of the two.

Hup

I know that you get a whole month off to study for the boards @ Penn. Does anyone know if you get time off at UNC? I don't think so. If not, how difficult is it to balance studying for the boards w/ all your other courses?

I doubt that that seventy grand will be financed at nearly 50% interest.

--Years down the road I don't think another seventy grand is going to make that much of a difference. I would go where you feel most comfortable and to the school that impressed you more and that can offer you what you really want to get out of a dental education. Even if I get into UNC in February I'll most likely still go to Penn. That cost difference is quite high. If you would really prefer Penn over UNC, then I would go. After you get out and make money the 70K probably won't make a substantial difference; you're going to be in debt either way.

haha that made me lol.

I know that you get a whole month off to study for the boards @ Penn. Does anyone know if you get time off at UNC? I don't think so. If not, how difficult is it to balance studying for the boards w/ all your other courses?

If I heard correct, you take the NBDE-I after Christmas 2nd year. So you get the time off between Fall and Spring semester (Christmas break - ~4 weeks) to study without other distractions.