1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

UPenn vs. UNC

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by MiamiNole20, Dec 10, 2008.

1. MiamiNole20

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I'm looking to get input about the quality of these programs. Penn is obviously more expensive, but do you feel the added cost is worth it? At least in the south, UNC is a very respected program. The trouble is I had great experiences when I interviewed at both schools. Both programs & environments really impressed me. I have scholarships to both schools and at the end of the day, UNC would be about $70K cheaper (a significant difference). Thanks in advance for any replies.

#1 MiamiNole20, Dec 10, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  2. DROCKINDAHOUSE

DROCKINDAHOUSE UTHSCSA c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    You do realize how much MORE you will be paying in monthly loan payments (when you consider the current climate in interest rates) for that extra $70K?

Just a thought man. I have no affiliation with either program but I will be going to dental school in TX this summer.

3. REH

REH Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    My two pennies...UNC It's a fantastic school, and a fantastic program. At this level of the game, the differences are minimal. Save the $70K and put that towards starting your own practice when you're done.

4. HupHolland

5+ Year Member

Dentist
    fellow nole,

i would definitely choose UNC. both are great programs, but that $70,000 will be well over $100,000 when you factor in interest.

congrats & best of luck to you,
    Hup :)

5. vlct0ria

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Love to see some fellow Seminoles getting into such great schools! Congrats on your acceptances, and I will go with the crowd and say 70k is a lot of $$$ so I would go with UNC. Good luck with your decision!

6. drUNC

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

#6 drUNC, Dec 11, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  7. HupHolland

5+ Year Member

Dentist
    Oh Yeah? Plug that $70,000 into an interest calculator at 6.8% and 20 years and see what number comes out. My $100,000 was lowballed by quite a bit.

It sounds as if you're trying to steer someone clear of UNC so a spot opens up for you. When comparing 2 quality programs separated by $70,000+, one would be a fool to choose the expensive of the two.

Hup

8. MiamiNole20

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I know that you get a whole month off to study for the boards @ Penn. Does anyone know if you get time off at UNC? I don't think so. If not, how difficult is it to balance studying for the boards w/ all your other courses?

9. slick90210

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    haha that made me lol.

10. PSU SHC 414

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

If I heard correct, you take the NBDE-I after Christmas 2nd year. So you get the time off between Fall and Spring semester (Christmas break - ~4 weeks) to study without other distractions.