UPenn's "intro to dent" summer program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enfuego

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.dental.upenn.edu/academic/DMDprogram/dmd-summer-course.html

Has anyone attended this? How was it? Do you know if they have other program dates other than the one currently listed for the end of June? Also, does anyone know how hard it is to get in this program? I know Gateway to Dentistry is pretty competitive, and I think UNC's program gives preference to NC in-state residents (which I am not).

From their website, it sounds like a good program. Unforunately, during the week in June they have this program, I'll still be taking my summer biochem class, so I'm hoping there might be other program dates...

Members don't see this ad.

IMO, 2 grand can be better spent elsewhere. If someone wants experience in dentistry, why don't they just shadow someone for free?

interesting.. I have never heard about these programs/courses...does anyone know if these programs will greatly favor when applying to dental school??

Members don't see this ad :)
of course, any program of this sort will show dental experience and interest in the field of dentistry, and it will only be beneficial for your application.

..yea true, but will the $1500-2000 invested in the programs really be worth it instead of the usual shadowing (free) which everyone does. I am sure the programs may look better than the usual shadowing, but is it really worth it; don't get me wrong, i am sure one will get a lot out exposure and hands-on experience of dentistry through the program....are these programs just a way to make money...has anyone had any epxerience with these types of programs/courses???

whether or not you want to spend $1500 on this kind of program is totally up to you. i've done a similar program for $2000 over a 2 week span, and i thought it was worth it...not only for the dental experience, but also cause it makes you stand out during the admissions process.

if your grades/DAT is subpar or if you're just an overachiever, then do the program. Otherwise, just stick to regular shadowing and EC.

Hey guys,

I am interested in doing this course and it is completely full. Does anyone know of a similiar program? Thanks!

Hey guys,

I am interested in doing this course and it is completely full. Does anyone know of a similiar program? Thanks!

I did "intro to dentistry" @ Penn, the experience was great, the cost includes housing for the week, a food card to cover all your meals, you meet admissions people, work in the dentsim lab, wax ups, pour models, graze the surface of dental anatomy, money well spent.

UMDNJ has the gateway program but you have to apply well in advance...& get accepted into the program....which has become increasingly difficult to enter.

Good luck!