Upenn's Special Science Interview Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bliksem

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with the interview questions for Upenn's Special Science Post-bac?

I applied late but was fortunate to pass the review stage. I received an invitation for an interview, in person or phone interview. Whatever help I can get with the interview questions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, do you know if they give more preference towards in person interviews? I'm currently living in California and traveling all the way to Upenn for an interview in such a short period of time would no doubt be costly, but I really want to get into the program.

On a side note, did anyone also find the application process relatively demanding. After sending in my application, I received an email stating that my application was incomplete because I was missing a second standardized test score. Long story short, the only standardized test score I have was my MCAT's. After explaining to the admissions office, they told me that my 28 was not competitive enough to waive the the second test score. 28 not competitive for a post-bac?? Luckily for me they still reviewed my app.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow! I didn't realize that about the test scores. The application is a bit intense.

I was just accepted to the special science program and am starting on sept 6. I had an in-person interview with Dr. Hunter and it went really well. She was not working script, it was just a friendly conversation that lasted for about 45 minutes. She obviously read my application first and had specific questions tailored to it. The only broad question which she admitted was scripted was one about what qualities I would attribute to an ideal doctor. Otherwise, just be yourself and you will be fine!

If you are seriously considering the program and moving to philly, I would suggest taking a flight out to make sure you even like it here and at Penn. Remember, you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you.

If you have any other questions, feel free to shoot me a pm.

lee

bliksem said:
Anyone familiar with the interview questions for Upenn's Special Science Post-bac?

I applied late but was fortunate to pass the review stage. I received an invitation for an interview, in person or phone interview. Whatever help I can get with the interview questions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, do you know if they give more preference towards in person interviews? I'm currently living in California and traveling all the way to Upenn for an interview in such a short period of time would no doubt be costly, but I really want to get into the program.

On a side note, did anyone also find the application process relatively demanding. After sending in my application, I received an email stating that my application was incomplete because I was missing a second standardized test score. Long story short, the only standardized test score I have was my MCAT's. After explaining to the admissions office, they told me that my 28 was not competitive enough to waive the the second test score. 28 not competitive for a post-bac?? Luckily for me they still reviewed my app.

I was just admitted to the program as well and will be starting on the 6th. As for your interview, I'm not sure they will view your flight from California as necessary. Remember, they do say that if it is inconvenient to travel to Penn in person a phone interview can be arranged. I'm not sure what would be more invonvenient than flying from Cali...

As far as questions were concerned, I thought they were all geared toward judgment of my character. If your transcript is strong, I think they just want to know that you're a likable person with strong attributes. If you can communicate that over the phone, there is no need to fly out (unless of course you haven't been to Philly lately and want to see the place).

Members don't see this ad :)
td11 said:
I was just admitted to the program as well and will be starting on the 6th. As for your interview, I'm not sure they will view your flight from California as necessary. Remember, they do say that if it is inconvenient to travel to Penn in person a phone interview can be arranged. I'm not sure what would be more invonvenient than flying from Cali...

As far as questions were concerned, I thought they were all geared toward judgment of my character. If your transcript is strong, I think they just want to know that you're a likable person with strong attributes. If you can communicate that over the phone, there is no need to fly out (unless of course you haven't been to Philly lately and want to see the place).

I've never heard of anyone who interviewed and was rejected. It is more of a technicality to assess your motivation and character. Just relax and be honest and you will be fine. It is more of a conversation than an interview.

Wow, that's good news to hear. Hopefully that turns out to be the trend even for late applicants. Thanks, mynamewastaken.

I interviewed at Upenn this past Monday with Dr. Ceccatti, and found out that I got accepted Friday morning. The interview, like many have commented, was very relaxed and comfortable.

I'm pretty excited, considering I applied after the deadline. However, the bad news is I'm still looking for housing.

I also got into LECOM's postbac. but I am strongly leaning towards Upenn's postbac. I think it'll be a better program. Any comments, anyone?