Upgrading Pre-reqs??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rhinocerotidae

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey SDNer's!

I'm sure you can all agree with me when I say that some pre-req classes are brutal!!! Due to my lack of interest/effort in some courses I ended up doing REALLY BAD (yay for D's in Physics! woot!). Right now I'm trying to up my cGPA since it is fairly low, and I thought that maybe if I could upgrade some pre-reqs it would help too (especially since some school require a minimum C- in ALL pre-reqs).

Now, here's my question… Can you upgrade pre-req courses?

I was under the impression that you can in one of two ways.

1) Re take the course
2) Take a higher level course (ex: if you get a D in a 100 level physics you can "upgrade" by taking a 200 level physics)

Now if that is the case, here is my problem!
The University I'm at does NOT let you re-take a course if you've received a letter grade of anything other than an F (it's really dumb). And most of the higher level courses need too many other required courses which I cannot take (who wants to take THREE calculus classes just to take a higher level physics?? haha I DON'T).

So I was thinking of re taking a few of the same classes through an online distance learning University.

Is this a good idea? And do vet schools accept distance learning courses - especially to replace a lower grades?

Is anyone else having the same issues? Thanks for any input!

Oh! just on a side note, I'm from Canada but I REALLY want to attend vet school in the states!
 
My school did the same thing (stupid D in calc), so I am retaking my math pre-req at CC right now. Its the same level, but wayyy easier since its at CC. Best idea ever.

I should mention that I talked to my future vet school first though to make sure this was ok.
 
It depends on the school, I know some of them don't accept retakes. I took one of my prereqs (genetics) via distance ed though and it was fine (for OVC), under the condition that I still had a full load that semester and had no more than one distance ed course per semester.