UPitt interview tommorow!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Octopus

Hospitalist
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right after cell Bio I'm driving from Cleveland to Pittsburgh and meeting my medstudent hosts at a bar (they had their first anatomy exam today). A band is playing made up of MS2s. I'll crash at their place, and they'll take me with them to class and dump me off where I'm supposed to be for my interviews. I'm a little nervous...I'll let y'all know how it goes. (1st interview):eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck!!! (btw, I like the new octopus avatar better)

Members don't see this ad :)
that sounds awesome! do all hosts treat applicants this well?

what an awesome well-planned trip!! Have fun and kick butt at the interview.

Charge on, Octo. Let us all know the details!! :)

don't drink too much. just enough to relax a bit ;)
good luck!!

Listen to pocwana!! :cool: And, best of luck!!! :) Make sure to go over your primary and secondary apps and be familiar with Pitt's curriculum, etc. Hopefully you've already done this, as it doesn't sound like you've left much time in your schedule for it!! :D

I was very impressed by the school, the students, the hospital(s), and the city. I thought that both my student and faculty interview went very well. I felt very much at ease throughout the whole thing with one slight exception: everyone had to do a little one on one with one of the Deans for about 15 minutes, and that one was a little stiff, but still not bad. I am crossing fingers on this one. I would really love to go there.:love:

good luck dr octopus. i work at upmc now and grew up in da 'burgh. pitt is a great school and i think you'd be happy here. i'm glad you liked it and i wish you the best of luck!

I can't believe you actually got online between interviews. At least I waited until I got back to KY before feeding my SDN addiction. ;)

My interviews went pretty well and I liked Pitt, too. I did feel kinda short-changed by the tour, though. I was shocked that they actually showed us the cadaver, but enjoyed seeing it.

The best part was making my first real-life SDN connection. :clap:

Good luck Dr. O

Originally posted by owen_osh
I can't believe you actually got online between interviews. At least I waited until I got back to KY before feeding my SDN addiction. ;)

My interviews went pretty well and I liked Pitt, too. I did feel kinda short-changed by the tour, though. I was shocked that they actually showed us the cadaver, but enjoyed seeing it.

The best part was making my first real-life SDN connection. :clap:

Good luck Dr. O

:) and good luck to you too! If we're lucky, we can be classmates. I had a really good time at that interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Dr. O,

Does the Dean read your file before-hand? Or are your 15 minutes cold? Why was it stiff?

Don't worry about the 15-minutes chat with one of the Deans. It is just to see whether or not you enjoyed the interview day and process. Did you get to talk to Linda? She is the bomb (i.e. awesome!).

I agree, Linda is awesome. :clap:

Originally posted by Drako
Don't worry about the 15-minutes chat with one of the Deans. It is just to see whether or not you enjoyed the interview day and process. Did you get to talk to Linda? She is the bomb (i.e. awesome!).

No, I got Dr. Donaldson, and he asked every stereotypical interview question like:

Why do you want to be a doctor?
What are your extracurriculars?
Have you done any research?
How have you investigated medicine?
What would you like me to tell the adcom (which he sits on)?
Etc...

He also asked me what other schools I'm applying to. He started to perk up during this last few minutes when I was asking him to compare Pitt to a few other schools.
'
BTW-he had read my entire file, so he already knew alot of the answers to his questions.

Originally posted by owen_osh
I agree, Linda is awesome. :clap:

Linda is the one who kicked off the morning, no?

If so, she was super friendly and energetic. I wish I would have had the chat with her.

I talked to Lisa Wick on Friday; she was odd. We basically just paged through my AMCAS application and chatted about different things on it, she raved about my essays, we talked about making career changes, having kids...and I actually used the phrase "so long, suckers!" when talking with her. We got a little silly....

Overall, all my interviews at Pitt went absolutely fantastic.

Xaelia, you were there with us? What was the interesting fact you told about yourself? I was the heretic from Cleveland who's not a Browns fan.

Originally posted by Doctor Octopus
I was the heretic from Cleveland who's not a Browns fan.

Oh Dr. Octo. :confused:

Why not a Browns fan?????

Hey guys,
I'm going to be there in 8 days! Is is too late to ask the adcom for a student host?? - how do I go about getting one??

My friend MSII is debating not being there that weekend, so i probally can't stay with her. I feel like I'd want like to stay with a Pitt student the night before my interview to get more info. about the school. Any suggestions on how to go about that? Thanks
Good luck to you guys - you sound like u had a great time! I'm psyched about it.

Also I haven't turned in my secondary yet (I'm trying to make it extra good :D ) Were you asked lots of ?'s about it ? I'm going to try to get it in ASAP - since its online - hopefully it'll get there once I hit submit. OKay mucho garcias in advance

I did student hosting and gave less than a weeks notice. It was totally worth it. I got a lot of great tips, and got to go out and see a band of MSIIs play at Nic's Fat City. I had a really great time.