UPitt's PSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biophysicianai

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm interested in UPitt's Physician Scientist Training Program (https://www.pstp.pitt.edu/), which is a 5-year, more-research-than-normal-MD program that doesn't lead to a dual degree.

Why?

I'd like to pursue research, but not only research. I'd like to practice medicine as well. The additional science training offered by this program may be just what I'm looking for, while an MD/PhD may be overkill.

Does anyone know of other programs like this? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I'm interested in UPitt's Physician Scientist Training Program (https://www.pstp.pitt.edu/), which is a 5-year, more-research-than-normal-MD program that doesn't lead to a dual degree.

Why?

I'd like to pursue research, but not only research. I'd like to practice medicine as well. The additional science training offered by this program may be just what I'm looking for, while an MD/PhD may be overkill.

Cleveland Clinic's 5-year program is similar... I was wrestling the same issues when deciding to apply MD/PhD and wound up applying to MD-only, CCLCM, and MD/PhD programs (I'm not indecisive, I swear). I'm not sure if the 5-year programs alone provide enough research training to get a training grant after residency -- you may have to do a 3/4 year post-doc to show you can complete a long term project with all the bells and whistles before someone will trust you with their money.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They're trying to get accredited before 2018; I could graduate from an MD/PhD by then :laugh:

I looked at the Cleveland Clinic website for a bit. That seems to be precisely what I'm looking for. Thanks, Pazan. What is the Cleveland Clinic's relationship with Case Western? It isn't well defined on the web (or my reading-for-information schools aren't up to par)

Thanks, all

Hey all,

Why?

I made a list of research MD programs in my blog. Some are MD/MS programs and some are research MD programs. Keep in mind though that probably any med school will let you take a fifth year for research. You don't have to go through one of these special programs.

They're trying to get accredited before 2018; I could graduate from an MD/PhD by then :laugh:

I looked at the Cleveland Clinic website for a bit. That seems to be precisely what I'm looking for. Thanks, Pazan. What is the Cleveland Clinic's relationship with Case Western? It isn't well defined on the web (or my reading-for-information schools aren't up to par)

Thanks, all
Case has two MD programs: the University Program (regular four year MD program) and CCLCM (five year research MD program). We are all Case students. During the first two years, CCLCM students take classes separately at CCF. After second year, the students in both programs do rotations together and we can all do research at either institution.

Harvard's HST Program has an optional 5th year for research, and I believe Stanford and Emory do as well. Many program's nowadays are tailored to a students interest with an optional additional free tuition year, but these are a few I know about. These are not specific programs but essentially will lead to the same training as the Pitt program as far as I know.