UPMC vs Emory vs OSU vs Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stuckrut2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need some help with the top of my rank list! I already have my #1 set.

I'm interested in academics SCI and I'm very conflicted between UPMC vs Emory vs OSU vs Utah. I have Jefferson after these four... I wish I could have it higher but I don't have any prelims nearby. I have a very ill family member who will be living with me which makes settling in one location/establishing care for them and thus categorical a priority for me as opposed to advanced with a prelim somewhere else. It's a complicated situation, but just assume that for me categorical >>> advanced.

UPMC has categorical and advanced (with multiple prelim positions you are auto-considered for), Emory is advanced only (with one TY you are auto-considered for), OSU has categorical and advanced (I have one prelim close by I interviewed at), and Utah is categorical.

Can anyone tell me how they would rank these? I keep going back and forth. Too bad every program couldn't just be categorical.

Members don't see this ad.

Three of the four have SCI Model Systems Centers and SCI fellowships. That’s a good place to start...then go with the place you felt more comfortable and jived best with your social situation. As a tie breaker...I suppose you could use categorical over advanced.

Agree with j4pac. Model systems is a nice bonus since you know you will see a decent volume of both traumatic and nontraumatic spines and there is potentially more research options to be had at these institutions. SCI fellowship is (correct me if I am wrong) fairly noncompetitive so you will likely match somewhere when that time comes. With your unique situation you may want to rank the place highest that has a SCI fellowship so you can possibly do all your education at the same institution. If I were you I would likely rank like this:

#1 Place with SCI fellowship - categorical
#2 Place with SCI fellowship - with close by prelim if applicable
#3 through x Places with SCI model systems where I can rank categorical spots/nearby prelim spots
x through y everything else with categorical spots going to the top of the list

The headache of having to move twice in your situation with a sick family member needing to establish care would make me rank everything categorical first. Your options are all good for what you want to do so try not to stress too much

Reactions: 1 user