Upper level Bio Classes for the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A7X

Black Card Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

Which upper level Bio classes did you feel assisted you on the more recent administrations of the MCAT?
In particular, courses such as Genetics, Mammalian Physiology, Cell Biology, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, and Biochem.
Was it useful to take a full course in Genetics, or could it be easily self learned? In what order would you rank those classes relative to the amount of content that is tested on the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Human physiology really helps, am taking AP not and its helping tremendously in my MCAT prep so I would recommend but all the classes you have listed should help especially genetics.

Are you planning on taking the current (old) or new MCAT? For the current:

I think physiology would be the most helpful class, as you're required to know the organ systems for the MCAT. I know people who have taken it without a physiology class, so it's doable, but I was very glad I took phys beforehand.

I also took a biochem class beforehand. It helped a little bit in the sense that I knew glucose metabolism very well... but again, this is material covered in an intro bio class. If you have time to take biochem before the MCAT, then great. But I wouldn't change your schedule to try to fit it in. Biochem is way more detailed than anything you need for the MCAT.

I didn't take any of the other classes and didn't feel like I was at a disadvantage. I really think they're way more in depth than anything you need for the MCAT. Would it help to take them? Well yeah... if you take a molecular bio class then you will know basic DNA stuff pretty well. But with proper studying you should be just fine without them. Good luck!

Hey SDN,

Which upper level Bio classes did you feel assisted you on the more recent administrations of the MCAT?
In particular, courses such as Genetics, Mammalian Physiology, Cell Biology, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, and Biochem.
Was it useful to take a full course in Genetics, or could it be easily self learned? In what order would you rank those classes relative to the amount of content that is tested on the MCAT?
Genetics and Human Physiology

Members don't see this ad :)
What's your goal on the test if you don't mind me asking? It's probably doable to get around a 30 with just prep books.

What's your goal on the test if you don't mind me asking? It's probably doable to get around a 30 with just prep books.

Honestly, as high as possible. I want to study like I'm aiming for a 45, so I can get a score I'll be happy with. Shoot for the stars, land on the moon kind of thing.

Honestly, as high as possible. I want to study like I'm aiming for a 45, so I can get a score I'll be happy with. Shoot for the stars, land on the moon kind of thing.

Ok that's fine to say and I think we all felt the same sentiment, but you must have some idea of your potential. I'll say it again, you could probably self study and get at least a 30. Whereas getting upwards of 36, and even 39 might require some luck. Not luck in the "it's an external factor out of your control" sense, but just the notion that you might find yourself more comfortable with a particular passage on test day if you've covered the background material in an upper level class.

To be clear, I have never been one to say that background information is necessarily going to be the difference maker in a test like the MCAT, because generally you just need to know fundamental concepts and understand how to apply them to complex situations. But it's reasonable to think that you might be more relaxed, less anxious and less panicked and thus able to apply those concepts more easily if you're familiar with the experiment/situation because you've seen it.