Uprooting family for more prestigious residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Myxoma123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long-time lurker here who is going through the application process. This question is mostly directed to those who have gone though a similar situation as well as those who have completed their training and have sage wisdom reflecting back on the process.

I'm trying to decide whether to stay at my home program or leave to pursue training at more prestigious or "higher ranked" programs. I am going into IM and leaning towards a physician scientist academic medicine career, but not completely set on it. Right now I'm completely lost regarding my decision point as my home program is a well-regarded top 20 program, but I am deciding whether or not it is worth it to rank top 5 programs above it. I think very highly of my home program and there is no doubt I would get great training where I am, but during the interview trail, there have definitely been programs I have liked more and I feel may give me more structured support for my career goals. That being said, we have a house, support network of parents being fairly close by, as well as a child who will need daycare so leaving here would give up quite a lot of convenience, at least for the short term. It would also be a bit of a sacrifice financially in terms of moving costs and COL in almost all of those cities are more expensive than what we have here, though it wouldn't be a huge burden in the long term since my spouse provides a second income. My spouse has been supportive and is willing to relocate if it's best for my career. We are leaning towards eventually coming back to the region we are in for family reasons, but nothing is set in stone.

Given the circumstances above, do you think it would be worth it to relocate temporarily for training (I'm leaning highly towards fellowship in cards) and aggressively building my career and consider relocation back to my support network later? I understand that ultimately the only one who can make this decision is my family and I, but I would appreciate any wisdom.

Members don't see this ad.

As a kid of someone who moved a bit while finishing up his academic/medical training/establishing a career -> lack of stability can have profound social effects on the kid(s). Especially with the physician scientist path. Good luck with your decision (but I vote you stay).

Given the circumstances above, do you think it would be worth it to relocate temporarily for training (I'm leaning highly towards fellowship in cards) and aggressively building my career and consider relocation back to my support network later? I understand that ultimately the only one who can make this decision is my family and I, but I would appreciate any wisdom.

Only you can really make this decision for yourself, to be honest. You have layed out the pros and cons nicely. It can be really tough on a family to uproot multiple times (although not impossible, just look at military families), but keep in mind that if you continue through fellowship you are probably looking at 6 (or more) years away, and your support system will likely change during that time (i.e. your child won't be in daycare anymore).

You can still have an academic career coming from "a well-regarded top 20 program". Plus you're an MD/PhD.

Reactions: 2 users
You can still have an academic career coming from "a well-regarded top 20 program". Plus you're an MD/PhD.

THIS. There are a lot of ivory-tower NE bias on SDN (much more so than just chatting around with friends around the country, anecdotally) and it is important to remember that most universities and academic centers LOVE people who have done prolonged training at their institution - it is so much faster to train them for billing, EMR, etc...

Reactions: 3 users
If you couldn't get the training that you needed at your home program, that would be one thing. If you were single with no wife or child, that would be one thing. But you are married with a family that needs a support network, and you can get good training at your current program. Since your career needs will be adequately met where you already are, prioritizing your family's needs by staying put seems like a no-brainier.

Reactions: 8 users
Thanks all - gave me more to think about. Just curious if anyone has taken the path of uprooting or moving farther from their support network and how it turned out or if you ended up regretting the decision. The places we're considering relocating to has nothing to do with the "ivory tower" mentality, rather they were places I felt I clicked more and left the day with a gut feeling.

We have several residents with families in my program, and they sort of stick together very well and become their own support system for each other. Something to ask yourself is the makeup of the residency, will there be others who are married and have families (this a tough question as it can vary from year to year, but it is clear that people with families may gravitate towards certain programs with residents in a similar situation)?

Thanks all - gave me more to think about. Just curious if anyone has taken the path of uprooting or moving farther from their support network and how it turned out or if you ended up regretting the decision. The places we're considering relocating to has nothing to do with the "ivory tower" mentality, rather they were places I felt I clicked more and left the day with a gut feeling.
I'm divorced now. Not entirely certain whether I regret the decision or not.

Look son, you're never going to see your friend jimmy again. Daddy matched to mgh. Now get in the truck.

Reactions: 5 users

not my experience, but one of my best friends had the opportunity to do residency in hawaii vs in his home state (home state had one of the best residency programs for his specialty)...they had 2 kids (though they were young and not in school) and both he and his wife were from the same area, family all in the same area and they knew no one in hawaii...he let his wife decide his #1 (which effectively would be where he would match he was that incredible a student) and off they went to ...hawaii! They were lucky that their nanny was willing to move to hawaii, but loved it! It was a way for them to get to live somewhere else for defined time and get to experience something they otherwise wouldn't have a chance (of course it didn't hurt that it was hawaii and everyone wanted to come visit!).

the point is that maybe going somewhere else and "uprooting" your family may actually turn out to be a good experience.

Reactions: 1 users
OP, you should be talking to your spouse about this, not us.

Reactions: 1 user