upsidedown-backwards land

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

r_salis

SDN Supa-Mod Emmetrope
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why is it that everything in optometry seems to be upsidedown and backwards.

Except for the things which are not.

Which are either just only upsidedown or backwards.

My head hurts. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

r salis,

can you give us an example of what your'e talking about?

:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
(Disclaimer: I was studying for finals like a madwoman when I made the above post.)

Okay, so in optometry there are a lot of things that are either upside-down, mirror-imaged, opposite or 90-degrees off because of optics.

After awhile you find yourself saying things like, "well if the vertical meridian is at 120, that's 30, so that's the horizontal focal line," and it sounds normal to you.

Also:

-- It's on the nasal retina (right side)? Well then it's in temporal space (left side).

-- It's the patient's 10-degree meridian? That's the observer's 170-degree meridian... which makes it the 80-degree focal-line.

-- He's a myope? The far point is in front of the retina so you subtract the BVD. Hyperope? The far point is *behind* the retina so you *add* the BVD.

just refer to your signature when your head hurts ;) :cool:

when when all the backwards stuff fails.. just take the inverse and you'll probably get the right answer. :laugh:

wait til you get to peds and "patient vs. doctor perspective" . Try remember which test is recorded in which manner...

Stupid cover test in nine positions of gaze. :rolleyes: right eye fixating, left eye fixating.. blah blah blah.. :laugh:

Very confusing stuff there r_salis.

Here's the unmotivated version of me: I'm sittin back, relax, and enjoy the less-3-months-away from graduation stage of my college career. Consider this my break in between.

...and then there will be optics and the like.

Ah yes....

its all becoming clear now.....:scared:

When i worked with my optometrist last summer, he told me not to speak to patients about the "technicality" of the matter....(unless they ask)

"you'll just confuse yourself, and they dont care anyway"

it makes sense, patients just wanna see better after they see the Dr., they could care less about the problem behind the problem......

Originally posted by anothertony

it makes sense, patients just wanna see better after they see the Dr., they could care less about the problem behind the problem......

Not all patients. If you can explain to them in simple terms, then patients feel like you care and they have a better understanding of their disease.

Patient education is just as important as making a diagnosis.

Originally posted by Andrew_Doan
Not all patients. If you can explain to them in simple terms, then patients feel like you care and they have a better understanding of their disease.

Patient education is just as important as making a diagnosis.
Definitely. I think all anothertony was saying was just not to use too much unnecessary techie jargon, though -- it's possible to explain something to a patient without being a total geek about it. ;)

absolutely.. and I've found most patients really appreciate it if you take the time to explain things to them. Which makes them like you, which brings them back to you.. and makes them send their friends to you. :clap:

Originally posted by cpw
absolutely.. and I've found most patients really appreciate it if you take the time to explain things to them. Which makes them like you, which brings them back to you.. and makes them send their friends to you. :clap:

I like your attitude CPW! ;)

Your approach decreases the chance that patients will sue you if something goes wrong.

Take the time to be nice and to be a good listener. Be honest and clear with your patients. The number one complaint I hear from patients is that their previous doctors don't listen nor did they take the time to explain.

thank you r_salis ....

you clarify me very well.....

-----basically..take time to explain what the problem is to the patient, however be caution not to use too much technical jargon or it'll go over their head......

:love: