Upstate .............

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DubZteR

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Traditionally the school has shown preferance for US residents (more particularly NY applicants) and because it is a state school, up until a few years ago ... did not accept applications from anyone that wasn't a US citizen/perm resident. However, I have noticed especially with the current application cycle that the school no longer favors instate applicants and has given out quite a few interviews for international applicants. At my interview, I noticed that my fellow interviewees had MCAT scores much higher than the school's posted numbers. I was curious about this change so I discussed this at my interview with one of my interviewers and he said this new stance was adopted in order to help attract other motivated applicants from different parts of the country. On the school's website, it states that applicants are discouraged from reapplying unless their qualifications have significantly improved. I know that at one point in history, the school was favorably compared with Penn and Harvard by people such as Dr. William Pepper so I was wondering if anyone else heard anything about this? Is Upstate's selection criteria really changing towards a more "numbers" approach with no preference for state residency?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard rumors (so don't quote me on this) that the SUNY's don't give significant preference to their state residents in general. I think someone once told me that CA and NY residents have it the hardest for that reason.