Upward Trend a good thing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rsmithjr42089

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
I am applying to medical school in June 2010. I only want to get into SUNY Buffalo. But fo course I have others in the area, but Buffalo is where my family is and my wife's family. (I have two children) so it is very important for me to get into medical school at Buffalo.
I used the AMCAS calculator for my current GPA's
scGPA: 3.4
cumGPA:3.65
otherGPA: 3.8
I am a dual major, Zoology BS and Philosophy BA with a Chemistry Minor.
I am at SUNY Oswego currently.
My first year was horrible, I attended the University of Guelph (Canada- no I am not canadian)
I figured I would go to an abroad school for my first year (I had a guaranteed entry to Cornell as a transfer IF I maintained a B average) Well Im not at Cornell because the Canadian institution is HARD! Let me explain, here in NYS HS students get 1 year of each science, in Canada it is at least 3 years of each science! So to say I was behind when I started is an understatement.
I didnt fail any but most of the prereqs are C's and B's (nothing under a firm C)
At Oswego I currently have a 3.74cum and 3.72 science GPA.
I am a current Junior-FYI
I am taking the MCAT May 2010 (Is this too late? Would April be better?)
Current practice tests are averaging mid 30's (AAMC CBT's) SO assuming the real thing is about a 35 (Im hoping better)
What are my chances for SUNY Buffalo?
EC:
Eagle Scout
Genetics Researcher (population genetics on invasive species- publication next spring!) In addition will be presenting at my school's research day as well as the Great Lakes Research Consortium...
Molecular Research (Mitochondrial protein import mapping on C Elegans (only 1 semester- but will continue my senior year))
NonCredit based shadowing: ER and mostly OR: roughly 60hours
Credit based Internship: Shadowing, clinical, ect (120 hours)
Sigma Xi (National Scienctific Research society)
Tau Sigma (Transfer Honor Society)
Biology Club
PreMed Forums
Genetics Lab TA
Hopefully this counts but over 1000hours volunteer work in High School (not much in college due to children and school plus PT jobs)
I will be a part of a religious type group that is for all religions, including atheism (I represent the Humanist atheist portion)
I did so much in High School it isnt funny but I know most doesnt count....but I will be mentioning them on my personal statement...

I get dishearted when I hear of others getting rejected from Suny UB with higher stats then me.
SO what are my chances? How can I improve?

Members don't see this ad.

My letters of Rec are all from my professors...mostly my research mentors ect...I didnt know any doctors well enough to ask, the one I did ask told me no because he was jinxed- everyone he wrote for never got into medical school (eek)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, I will try to do that.
One question: If Im applying June 2010, I have a WHOLE YEAR to do more....but will it even matter? Ive heard of sending update letters but most of the time they dont even get to reading it before a decision is made....

Thanks, I will try to do that.
One question: If Im applying June 2010, I have a WHOLE YEAR to do more....but will it even matter? Ive heard of sending update letters but most of the time they dont even get to reading it before a decision is made....

usually that "update" letter is not that helpful. That is why alot of folks take a yr off to build the app so that you can get credit for it.

I wish I had that ability to take a year off but I depend on school grants and loans for off-campus too...with two kids school is the only option to get ahead and survive...

I'd agree that you're primarily judged by what you enter into your Primary application. The update letter only helps if you're on the cusp.

Is there a chance your BCPM GPA will rise this next semester?

The lack of recent community service may hurt you. Any chances of fixing that in the next 6 months?

Premed Forums as an EC?

I have tried to see if my BCPM will rise, and if I get A's in all of them it goes to a 3.5, but the classes I have left are very advanced....so far though my hardest has been biochemistry but I have an A at this point (Final exam is wed....)

Im not sure if the Premed forum counts...I just help other premeds at my school on a school based forum....it is probably not worth even mentioning....like I said I am desperate for EC's....having kids certainly limits my availability for them. I had tons of it in High School...if only it counted...President of three clubs, all kinds of community service (over 1000 hours), mentor and tutor, involved in bands and leadership. I even directed a donation drive for a local reptile rehabilitation facility that had a major fire....
ah the life before kids....Im not complaining about it though, my kids are my own EC...lol
Will they consider any of my High School EC's? Not like clubs and stuff but the volunteer hours?

I dont really know where to volunteer around my city, Ive only been here for a year. I will be finding out more in the Spring as I will be rotating all over the city for my medical internship- maybe I can find some medically related (and non) volunteer positions.
I realize that my preliminary app is somewhat weak for the top tier schools, but I really am only interested in SUNY Buffalo, which is a state medical school in NY, albeit it may be and is fast becoming the state medical school. Their averages are like 3.6GPA, and a 29 MCAT...I have the average GPA and that MCAT should be easily beaten( we shall see)

What are some typical "good" volunteer type things for my EC's? Are clubs and such that big of a deal? I would rather have one or two EC that I am very involved with rather than a dozen that I just go to to say "Hey I have this many EC's..." because chances are- most of the EC's that people state are buffed up a bit. (BTW- does AMCAS verify the EC's at all? I have heard of interviewers catching people who didnt "lie" but were not able to "elaborate" very much on many of their EC's...)

I have tried to see if my BCPM will rise, and if I get A's in all of them it goes to a 3.5, but the classes I have left are very advanced....so far though my hardest has been biochemistry but I have an A at this point (Final exam is wed....)

Im not sure if the Premed forum counts...I just help other premeds at my school on a school based forum....it is probably not worth even mentioning....like I said I am desperate for EC's....having kids certainly limits my availability for them. I had tons of it in High School...if only it counted...President of three clubs, all kinds of community service (over 1000 hours), mentor and tutor, involved in bands and leadership. I even directed a donation drive for a local reptile rehabilitation facility that had a major fire....
ah the life before kids....Im not complaining about it though, my kids are my own EC...lol
Will they consider any of my High School EC's? Not like clubs and stuff but the volunteer hours?

I dont really know where to volunteer around my city, Ive only been here for a year. I will be finding out more in the Spring as I will be rotating all over the city for my medical internship- maybe I can find some medically related (and non) volunteer positions.
I realize that my preliminary app is somewhat weak for the top tier schools, but I really am only interested in SUNY Buffalo, which is a state medical school in NY, albeit it may be and is fast becoming the state medical school. Their averages are like 3.6GPA, and a 29 MCAT...I have the average GPA and that MCAT should be easily beaten( we shall see)

What are some typical "good" volunteer type things for my EC's? Are clubs and such that big of a deal? I would rather have one or two EC that I am very involved with rather than a dozen that I just go to to say "Hey I have this many EC's..." because chances are- most of the EC's that people state are buffed up a bit. (BTW- does AMCAS verify the EC's at all? I have heard of interviewers catching people who didnt "lie" but were not able to "elaborate" very much on many of their EC's...)

I would try and get a position where I would volunteer in an ER 3/4 hrs/wk.

I am not sure about verification but I think most places dont check them all but I would not take a chance.....