Upward Trend...but is it enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SententialElf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I would appreciate any and all feedback I can get about how to make my application stronger! Basically, I'm very nervous about my GPA as I know it's below the average for many, many schools, and I'm especially nervous about how atrocious my grades were freshman and sophomore year.

What types of schools should I be applying to? Mid-tier? Low-tier? My ultimate dream school would be Case Western because of its Bioethics program....but I don't think I have a chance :( I think I have a pretty good chance at DO schools, but I wanted to know about MD too (not that I have any problem with DO schools, and I would love to get into OU-HCOM!)

Institution: Well-known public school
Residency: Ohio

cGPA: ~3.5
sGPA: ~3.3 or 3.4
MCAT: 38
Ethinicity: Asian

GPA trend:
1st year: 2.6 | 2.3
2nd year: 3.2 | 2.5
3rd year: 3.8 | 3.7
4th year: 3.9 | 3.8
5th year: 4.0 | 4.0

Grades include retakes of two science classes (C- the first time around, B+ in one and an A in the other second time around)

ECs:
1. Editor-in-Chief of undergraduate research journal (3.5 years)
2. Chair of school's Undergrad Research Department Student Council (2 years)
3. President of Bioethics Club (2 years)
4. Ethics Chair of Pre-Med organization (3 years)
5. On a number of other University student advisory councils, including for undergraduate education, the university's sexual assault policy board and dean's advisory board

Shadowing: Only about 15 hours, 8 hours in primary care and 7 hours in internal med. Both were DOs. I live in a city where its almost impossible to shadow MDs because there are too many freakin' premeds and super stringent HIPPA-related rules about shadowing >.< But I think my job gave me enough exposure to the hospital setting (see below)

Volunteering:
1. Sexual Assault Helpline and Hospital advocate. Worked for a local response team and provided emotional support to survivors and their families in emergency departments as well as 24-hour helpline (4 years; about 24-34 hours a month). Also served as a volunteer trainer and an outreach speaker for this org, and went through about 40-50 hours of in-service rape crisis counseling training.
2. Helped organize piano concerts at area nursing homes (1.5 years)
3. Volunteer at local free clinic (4 years)

Employment:
-Worked as a sitter at the local hospital for about 3 years, 32 hours/month. Monitored suicidal/fall risk/etc patients in the main hospital, rehab hospital and psychiatric hospital
- Good ol' Papa Johns for 2 years

Research:
4 years in a nanoengineering lab; worked on two different projects
1 abstract publication (1st author); 2 other publications in decent (but not nature or science) journals (4th and 3rd author)
15 poster presentations (two at Harvard's National Collegiate Research Conference)
1 plenary talk (at Harvard's National Collegiate Research Conference)
received about $26k in research funding through various grants/fellowships

Members don't see this ad.

honestly you have a hell of a shot. that 3.8, 3.9 and 4.0 will benefit you tremendously. not only that, your MCAT score is above average. and considering your amount of research, volunteering and shadowing, i think you will be just fine. dont limit yourself to a few schools. apply as broadly as possible and i think you'll be very successful

honestly you have a hell of a shot. that 3.8, 3.9 and 4.0 will benefit you tremendously. not only that, your MCAT score is above average. and considering your amount of research, volunteering and shadowing, i think you will be just fine. dont limit yourself to a few schools. apply as broadly as possible and i think you'll be very successful

Thank you! What sorts of schools (tier-wise) should I be looking at? I'll be applying to all of the MD schools in Ohio as well as OU-HCOM (DO)...I'm hoping to have a chance at one of those (Case is my top choice, but that's probably a long shot for me).

Does anyone else have feedback?

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely try all of the OH schools, plus those in surrounding states (well, maybe not PA or U MI).

You're bound to get into one of them!

Hello! I would appreciate any and all feedback I can get about how to make my application stronger! Basically, I'm very nervous about my GPA as I know it's below the average for many, many schools, and I'm especially nervous about how atrocious my grades were freshman and sophomore year.

What types of schools should I be applying to? Mid-tier? Low-tier? My ultimate dream school would be Case Western because of its Bioethics program....but I don't think I have a chance :( I think I have a pretty good chance at DO schools, but I wanted to know about MD too (not that I have any problem with DO schools, and I would love to get into OU-HCOM!)

Institution: Well-known public school
Residency: Ohio

cGPA: ~3.5
sGPA: ~3.3 or 3.4
MCAT: 38
Ethinicity: Asian

GPA trend:
1st year: 2.6 | 2.3
2nd year: 3.2 | 2.5
3rd year: 3.8 | 3.7
4th year: 3.9 | 3.8
5th year: 4.0 | 4.0

Grades include retakes of two science classes (C- the first time around, B+ in one and an A in the other second time around)

ECs:
1. Editor-in-Chief of undergraduate research journal (3.5 years)
2. Chair of school's Undergrad Research Department Student Council (2 years)
3. President of Bioethics Club (2 years)
4. Ethics Chair of Pre-Med organization (3 years)
5. On a number of other University student advisory councils, including for undergraduate education, the university's sexual assault policy board and dean's advisory board

Shadowing: Only about 15 hours, 8 hours in primary care and 7 hours in internal med. Both were DOs. I live in a city where its almost impossible to shadow MDs because there are too many freakin' premeds and super stringent HIPPA-related rules about shadowing >.< But I think my job gave me enough exposure to the hospital setting (see below)

Volunteering:
1. Sexual Assault Helpline and Hospital advocate. Worked for a local response team and provided emotional support to survivors and their families in emergency departments as well as 24-hour helpline (4 years; about 24-34 hours a month). Also served as a volunteer trainer and an outreach speaker for this org, and went through about 40-50 hours of in-service rape crisis counseling training.
2. Helped organize piano concerts at area nursing homes (1.5 years)
3. Volunteer at local free clinic (4 years)

Employment:
-Worked as a sitter at the local hospital for about 3 years, 32 hours/month. Monitored suicidal/fall risk/etc patients in the main hospital, rehab hospital and psychiatric hospital
- Good ol' Papa Johns for 2 years

Research:
4 years in a nanoengineering lab; worked on two different projects
1 abstract publication (1st author); 2 other publications in decent (but not nature or science) journals (4th and 3rd author)
15 poster presentations (two at Harvard's National Collegiate Research Conference)
1 plenary talk (at Harvard's National Collegiate Research Conference)
received about $26k in research funding through various grants/fellowships

Uhh....I don't see the problem here? Apply broadly and you'll get in somewhere (and probably somewhere good :p ) relax!!

Uhh....I don't see the problem here? Apply broadly and you'll get in somewhere (and probably somewhere good :p ) relax!!

The problem was my GPA, both of which are low. Especially my freshman and sophomore year :/

AdComs don't look at a single year or even two; they look at the whole package. What I see with you is someone who righted herself after a rocky start and stayed true and stong. Just my two cents, but that's even better than a 4.0 automaton.

The problem was my GPA, both of which are low. Especially my freshman and sophomore year :/

You have a chance at UMich though...

Sent from my LG-MS770 using SDN Mobile

You have a chance at UMich though...

Sent from my LG-MS770 using SDN Mobile

I'm pretty sure my GPA is far below what Umich wants.

If I did an SMP (or any other Masters' program), would that be a waste of time? I've been considering the Masters in Biomedical Sciences program at Mt. Sinai (PM track) after I graduate since I've got the 3.5 GPA and the 34+ MCAT. If I can get at least a 3.6 in the program, I'm guaranteed an interview.

I'm pretty sure my GPA is far below what Umich wants.

If I did an SMP (or any other Masters' program), would that be a waste of time? I've been considering the Masters in Biomedical Sciences program at Mt. Sinai (PM track) after I graduate since I've got the 3.5 GPA and the 34+ MCAT. If I can get at least a 3.6 in the program, I'm guaranteed an interview.

I don't see how an SMP would help you unless you REALLY like the linked program. You are already coming off six consecutive semesters with very strong grades, especially the last four, so another two wouldn't make a big difference.

You do have a below-average GPA for applicants. Keep in mind, though, that it's an average, which means there are people getting in with lower GPAs that bring that average down. Do I think you'll be one of those people? Well, you have a 99th percentile MCAT and a stellar, long-term trend of improvement, sooooooo....

I think you are grossly overestimating the "average premed". You are going to stand taller than the vast majority of the applicant pool at low and even mid-tier schools. Apply to low-tier schools as safeties, absolutely, but don't shortchange yourself, and shoot high. =)