upward trend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Allaboutteeth5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i always see posts on here and people always say adcoms look for upward trend, upward trend, upward trend.

I'm confused because yeah that's desirable but i feel like semesters get harder and each semesters different depending on what classes you get.

My 1st 2 semesters i did well. First semester had a 3.9 2nd had a 3.4 but the course load was heavy so that was good (As and Bs)

My third semester was bad had a lot going on got a 3.01 ): and last semester was bad! I managed 2 As but 2 other grades one being the D+ in a prereq...

That being said...if i can get above a 3.7 the next 3 or 4 semesters would that be a good upward trend? I'm getting so nervous because mines like vice versa.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't have an upward trend because yes each semester (theoretically) does get harder for most majors as you take harder courses and mine certainly did with upper-level bio courses. Regardless, my GPA didn't plummet but was certainly lower after my sophomore and junor years, and it probably would have reflected more negatively if it had gone down a considerable amount.

If you retake the pre-req and do better for the remainder of your semesters it would look much better than continuing a downward trend, but a slight downward trend from awesome isn't the end of the world.

I didn't have an upward trend because yes each semester (theoretically) does get harder for most majors as you take harder courses and mine certainly did with upper-level bio courses. Regardless, my GPA didn't plummet but was certainly lower after my sophomore and junor years, and it probably would have reflected more negatively if it had gone down a considerable amount.

If you retake the pre-req and do better for the remainder of your semesters it would look much better than continuing a downward trend, but a slight downward trend from awesome isn't the end of the world.
Thank you. Yes i plan on retaking the prereq and doing better the remainder semesters.