upward trend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deltaG

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am new to the forum! I realized within this past year exactly what health field I wanted to pursue.

Anyways, I was wondering if Dental Schools really like upward trends when coming from a somewhat low/average GPA. I have a 3.2 overall and a 3.2 sci. I graduated from UCSD June 2010. This fall I will be starting a pot bacc program and will hopefully get nothing lower than an A! However, I calculated it and the max gpa I can attain is a 3.4 or a 3.5 depending on how many units I take per quarter.

So my question is, is a drastic upward trend and ending with a 3.4 look just as good as someone maybe who got a 3.4 or 3.5 steady throughout?

Also, I am starting to study for my DAT this summer, even though I dont plan to take it next year, I am not fooling around I guess! lol

Thanks for the advice everyone! This forum is awesome! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!

I am new to the forum! I realized within this past year exactly what health field I wanted to pursue.

Anyways, I was wondering if Dental Schools really like upward trends when coming from a somewhat low/average GPA. I have a 3.2 overall and a 3.2 sci. I graduated from UCSD June 2010. This fall I will be starting a pot bacc program and will hopefully get nothing lower than an A! However, I calculated it and the max gpa I can attain is a 3.4 or a 3.5 depending on how many units I take per quarter.

So my question is, is a drastic upward trend and ending with a 3.4 look just as good as someone maybe who got a 3.4 or 3.5 steady throughout?

Also, I am starting to study for my DAT this summer, even though I dont plan to take it next year, I am not fooling around I guess! lol

Thanks for the advice everyone! This forum is awesome! :)

A GPA of 3.4-3.5 (and assuming similar science) is good whether there is upward trend or not.

Ofc, the upward trend is looked upon more favorably, especially when its accompanied by strong overall numbers (such as the predicted 3.4-3.5).

By the way, 3.2 GPA isn't Low. Its marginal, and its at a GREAT level for some post-bacc fixing

all the best

Members don't see this ad :)
A GPA of 3.4-3.5 (and assuming similar science) is good whether there is upward trend or not.

Ofc, the upward trend is looked upon more favorably, especially when its accompanied by strong overall numbers (such as the predicted 3.4-3.5).

By the way, 3.2 GPA isn't Low. Its marginal, and its at a GREAT level for some post-bacc fixing

all the best

I love to read this because I started my post-bacc with a 3.2:)

How many science courses do you have? Was your first degree in science? If you are anything like me, and didn't have very many science courses your science/bcp gpa will fly up. Example, this last semester (my first of post-bacc) my science GPA went from 2.0 to 3.25 and will be over 3.4 by the end of the summer.

Good luck to you, we can do it!

I actually obtained a BS in Human Biology so I have a chunk of Bio classes. I struggled with classes and especially upper division science classes but gradually got better and starting acing upper divs by senior year.

I am really looking forward to starting my post bacc and get those grades up even higher! Post bacc programs are such a great resource for us not-going-to-give-up pre-dental kids :) I really hope I have a shot at Dental school by the time I apply June 2012!

gluck to you as well!

I actually obtained a BS in Human Biology so I have a chunk of Bio classes. I struggled with classes and especially upper division science classes but gradually got better and starting acing upper divs by senior year.

I am really looking forward to starting my post bacc and get those grades up even higher! Post bacc programs are such a great resource for us not-going-to-give-up pre-dental kids :) I really hope I have a shot at Dental school by the time I apply June 2012!

gluck to you as well!

Is there any classes left for you to take tho?

Im going to be retaking a years worth of O Chem and I have already checked the classes that are being offered and there are alot of upper division bio and chem classes I have not yet taken.