Upward Trend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WastedTime

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would 2 semesters of a 3.8 GPA be considered a strong upward trend? I've take a mixture 4 upper level bio and chem's each semester, total of 25 credit hrs, and had a 3.58 GPA one semester and 4.0 GPA the following semester. I have a 3.4 oGPA 3.26 sGPA and a 3.17 bcpGPA. Would this matched with a strong DAT and early submission get me some interviews? I finished all my requirements for graduation this fall and am currently working while studying for the DAT. If i take 4 more upper level bio's in the summer I can possibly raise my sGPA to 3.35 and my bcpGPA to 3.26. Would it be worth it to wait until after im finished taking summer courses and submit my application then so it is a stronger upward trend? Or would my best option be to apply as soon as possible? Thanks a bunch.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
definitely looking on the right track if you can finish with a strong DAT and shadowing hours / decent EC's. assuming you have enough time to study and rock the DAT, i would maybe take classes and ace them.

My suggestion would be (and it's an unfounded one) to apply as early as possible and then update the schools with your courses in progress as the cycle progresses...

I don't really know if 2 or 3 semesters would be considered an upward trend, but as crax said you are certainly on the right track. If adcoms don't consider it an upward trend, at least you have figured out what you need to do to be successful during the rest of your undergrad and on into dental school. Aim for 21+ on all sections of the DAT, build the other areas of your application, apply as early as you can, and you could possibly be in line for some acceptances come December. Stay positive !

Members don't see this ad :)
Mind you that the there is an upward trend in my grades but i changed my major and turned away from dentistry recently so i havent been taking any science course the year before. So all in all there is a huge upward trend in my overall gpa (say about 4-5 semesters) just I have not taken any science course until these past 2 semesters. Honestly I will have about 2 months to study for the DAT with a full time job and I think I can put in enough work and will shoot for 23-24's all on sections to further enable myself to get interviews.

would it be worth it to wait until i take summer classes and have atleast 3 semesters worth of upward trend before i apply or with my stats should i not risk it and apply early as possible ??