UQ-Ochsner 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mjord43

Reaction score
Hello. I haven't seen a thread yet for the UQ Ochsner 2025 intake, so I thought I would start one. I completed my application recently and am hoping for a March interview. 🤞

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Update: received an interview invite last night for 3/21!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I'm a current 4th year at UQ-Ochsner, if anyone has any questions that I could help with feel free to post or DM me!

Congrats on your interview and good luck!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a current 4th year at UQ-Ochsner, if anyone has any questions that I could help with feel free to post or DM me!

Congrats on your interview and good luck!!!
Thanks, Wolvvs! I've seen your posts on here the last couple of years, and they have been super helpful.

Sending you a DM.

Congrats! How long after submitting your application did you receive the II?
Thanks! My app was complete on 2/13. On 2/14, I was given access to the online portal where they uploaded all of my application materials that I had sent them previously. A week later, I received the II on 2/21.

It might have been a bit faster of a process for me though because I applied in December with everything but my MCAT score. I was scheduled to take the MCAT in January, so my app was mostly complete when I got my score back on 2/13.

Thanks! My app was complete on 2/13. On 2/14, I was given access to the online portal where they uploaded all of my application materials that I had sent them previously. A week later, I received the II on 2/21.

It might have been a bit faster of a process for me though because I applied in December with everything but my MCAT score. I was scheduled to take the MCAT in January, so my app was mostly complete when I got my score back on 2/13.
Ooo okay! Sounds good :)

Interviewed last Thursday. Felt like it went ok to good, but it was also my first MMI. They said they’d let us know the outcome in “a few weeks, but less than a month.”

Hey y'all! Current 3rd year here. Please feel free to reach out with any questions about UQ/Brisbane! I can also put you in touch with some of the lower years who are still in Australia - the curriculum structure has changed recently (along with going pass/fail) so they'd be better equipped to answer those types of questions!

Hello! I recently got accepted to UQ Ochsner and I’m really excited, but a little bit concerned about how US residency programs view international students. From what you’ve seen do you feel that students are generally successful in matching into their desired programs? Also, how can students stand out at UQ? Do they do class rank or anything?

Hello! I recently got accepted to UQ Ochsner and I’m really excited, but a little bit concerned about how US residency programs view international students. From what you’ve seen do you feel that students are generally successful in matching into their desired programs? Also, how can students stand out at UQ? Do they do class rank or anything?
Hey! It's difficult for us to know specifically how Ochsner is perceived especially outside the Southeast but as we have now existed for around 15 years the reputation is improving. Ochsner is also very willing to take in their own students for residency (half the entering OBGYN class for July is UQ-Ochsner), so if you're wanting to remain in the Gulf South this is a great option for you. Anecdotally it seemed a bit harder for people who were interested in surgical specialties this year, but that is not to say we don't match in surgery (there were 2 urology matches and a couple neurosurg/vascular matches). Overall we matched to something like 30/50 US states, and only 30% of matches are remaining in Louisiana with a solid showing in other southern states and even some to New England. Overall, it depends on what you're interested in. I'm not super into primary care so the difference between this matchlist and the list for the other school I was accepted to (DO school on west coast with STRONG IM/primary focus) was one of my deciding factors. I think Ochsner is better than the Caribbean simply based on stats; attrition rate is lower, and while we all still have to take the CBSE (fake step required before progression to clinicals), Ochsner's pass mark is lower and equivalent to the estimated percent correct of the actual step 1 exam. We also have the benefit of being citizens/PR holders, so there's no visa requirement and we are not completely foreign educated (i.e. a person from Ochsner should be more favorably regarded than the same person who did all 4 years at UQ).
At UQ, there's not much you can do to stand out coursework wise, especially since we've gone pass/fail for all 4 years now. Grades are relatively unimportant to the domestic students (my friends' favorite saying before we went pass/fail was "4's open doors," which is basically the same as "C's get degrees" here), but Ochsner tracks your grades for MS2-MS4 in the background so that they can quartile us at the end for the MSPE letter before match. Best way to stand out IMO is to knuckle down for years 1 and 2, study for UQ stuff, don't fail CBSE, then come to New Orleans and try and get all your ducks in a row for match (i.e. get research, honor your shelf exams, do well on step 2, etc). Being IMG may preclude you from some programs, but I don't necessarily believe it will kill your application.

Reactions: 1 users
Also, to answer the bit about desired program a little better, for 2024 >60% matched within their top 3 choices per this article