UQ-Oschner and more Program for U.S. Citizen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drabberbadge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.7 cgpa, 3.65 sgpa, 3.67 masters in neuroscience gpa and a 505 MCAT with 2 previous 497 mcats
i have good clinical experience and research and great ECs
I applied to 35 MD schools and 10 DO schools , SGU, and UQ-Oschner in Australia
I have received no interviews for any MD schools, received 8 out of 10 interviews for DO schools, and an acceptance at SGU and UQ-Oschner in Australia.
My question is :
As of now, I am considering UQ-Oschner in Australia (even contemplating it over DO schools), what do you guys think of the school, I live in CA, is it possible to get residency in CA?
Is it a good opportunity if I want to practice in the states? Not many of my friends know about this and end up choosing the DO route over this option, but the stigma of a DO forever trailing me is what is deterring me from just straight out choosing UQ(unless I get a US MD)

Please share your thoughts on this
I have persevered and worked hard to get here

Members don't see this ad.

MD>DO>IMG. I have written so much throughout these forums with the data on the risks of off-shore schools that I will let others go point it out. If you go to SGU or OC over a DO acceptance, you will be a fool.

Strongly agree. Graduate from a US medical school at all cost. There isn't much different between DO and MD when you start practicing.

Reactions: 1 user
There is far more stigma doing your medical school abroad then the letters that come after your name

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard that it is almost impossible to get a cardio, neurologist or dermatology residency as a DO whereas MD has a different respect to them and the UQ matches in residences are very highly regarded and they get placed more so than the caribbean

I heard that it is almost impossible to get a cardio, neurologist or dermatology residency as a DO whereas MD has a different respect to them and the UQ matches in residences are very highly regarded and they get placed more so than the caribbean

You should search for a few COMs and look at their match list.

but the stigma of a DO forever trailing me

No one cares

No. Cardiology is possible, neurology is not competitive, and derm is the most competitive field and is almost impossible for most medical students whether MD or DO.

If you want the letters that bad then go ahead but be warned that with the merger and increasing US enrollment the match will become a downright blood bath for IMGs.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you think the merger will affect IMGs that badly? Is the merger confirmed already? DO s will still be required to take the COMLEX as well correct?

Just to clarify, is the concern of IMGs that you may not be able to get a residency? Is that the main concern vs a DO doctor?

Do you think the merger will affect IMGs that badly? Is the merger confirmed already? DO s will still be required to take the COMLEX as well correct?

Single Accreditation System will put DOs and MDs under the ACGME umbrella. So being an IMG will be a disadvantage.

COMLEX-USA is not going away anytime soon...

How many student are in the program?You need to ask them how many start the program and how many finish, find out what the attrition rate is. Ask them how many applied to match and how many actually matched compared to how many had to scramble.

I'll admit the match list impresses me for a foreign school. If the match rate really is 90s, or at least high 80s, and the attrition rate is low then I would take a hard look at this school if you can stomach the idea of living in Australia for a few years.

Asked these questions already , The attrition rate is remarkably low ! Only 4 students dropped out - 2 because they got spots at US MD schools and 2 because they didn't pass
Class size I believe is around 120approx
This is why I'm strongly considering it , they say that the program is very self directed and the lady says she would not even be comparing it to the carribean and more on line as a US MD school - uniquely partnership etc
It's very interesting but I get concerned over the 2020 img thing , I don't want to risk practicing just for initials

Asked these questions already , The attrition rate is remarkably low ! Only 4 students dropped out - 2 because they got spots at US MD schools and 2 because they didn't pass
Class size I believe is around 120approx
This is why I'm strongly considering it , they say that the program is very self directed and the lady says she would not even be comparing it to the carribean and more on line as a US MD school - uniquely partnership etc
It's very interesting but I get concerned over the 2020 img thing , I don't want to risk practicing just for initials

120 in the class of 2017? I only count 77 matches (may have miscounted by a few).

I considered UQ for a while when I applied and def would have gone there over SGU. In the end, I decided I wanted to stay home. That being said, there are a few damn impressive matches from 2017

120 in the class of 2017? I only count 77 matches (may have miscounted by a few).

I considered UQ for a while when I applied and def would have gone there over SGU. In the end, I decided I wanted to stay home. That being said, there are a few damn impressive matches from 2017

I wonder if some people match in other countries

After seeing the match rate and that it is MD, would you still choose it over a DO school n the U.S.?

After seeing the match rate and that it is MD, would you still choose it over a DO school n the U.S.?

If you get into a mid to high tier DO school, probably not just bc of the uncertainty of what the merger will hold for IMGs. Established DO schools also have match lists better than this one imo

You aren't likely to get much encouragement to become an IMG on these forums, and with good reasons. That being said, the Australian schools are very different than Caribbean medicals schools. UQ, U Sydney, and U Melbourne are all fantastic medical schools in their own right. Sadly, you will still be applying to US residencies as an IMG. I believe that going the UQ- Oschner route also makes matching in Australia a less likely path compared to the other Australian schools. I looked into going the Australian route and I think it is much better than going Caribbean, but I wouldn't go that route if I had a DO acceptance.

If you go to a DO school, you are almost certainly going to graduate and get a residency in something, somewhere in the US. That can't be said with the same certainty for any overseas school.

I think you will get a better informed response on the australia sub-forum if you haven't checked it out already: Australasia and Oceania

You heard wrong. And don't think that you can merely waltz into a Derm or other uber -esidency just because you have the MD. Competitive residencies are competitive for a reason.

And the "stigma" of DO is only in the minds of ignorant pre-meds.

If you want to practice as a physician in the United States, you should go to an American medical school. Go DO.

As of now, I am considering UQ-Oschner in Australia (even contemplating it over DO schools), what do you guys think of the school, I live in CA, is it possible to get residency in CA?
That's dumb.

Reactions: 4 users
How many student are in the program?You need to ask them how many start the program and how many finish, find out what the attrition rate is. Ask them how many applied to match and how many actually matched compared to how many had to scramble.

I'll admit the match list impresses me for a foreign school. If the match rate really is 90s, or at least high 80s, and the attrition rate is low then I would take a hard look at this school if you can stomach the idea of living in Australia for a few years.

Sorry to revive this thread, but I LOL'd so hard at this line. I've honestly told it to so many travelers already.

I thought experiencing a new culture for 2 years was a perk of the program? But, I guess leaving the states temporarily is not for everyone.