URGENT ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ramitha

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a medical student studying in Manipal College of Medical Sciences,Nepal. I have a dream to do MD (Doctor of Medicine) program in India :):love: . But I have seen in many college official sites that we have to sit for and pass an entrance examination for MD. Now I am REALLY REALLY WORRIED because I honestly don't think that I would be able to pass such an examination due to the high competition :(:( . PLEASE HELP ME FRIENDS!!!.. I NEED URGENT ADVICE!!! THANK YOU!

Members don't see this ad.

All MD degree programs, whether in India or other countries will require you to take an entrance exam. There is no way to escape it unless you have crores of rupees to give off to the schools. Honestly, if you are so afraid of tests, maybe you shouldn't have gone into medicine. This career is all about passing the exams and proving yourself. There will always be competition, and if that's not something that you can handle, then I'm afraid you may not fare well in this industry.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Ramitha, sure I will try to give you the best advice that I have. I think in your case, there are a couple of options: If you are really set on doing MD program in India, then I would start studying now...make a study plan and stick to it. I am not a medical student in India, but my guess is that the entrance exams to the MD programs will be based on your entire MBBS curriculum, so I would really make sure to know the MBBS curriculum thoroughly (first year, second year, clinicals, etc.) I think you should also VISIT the colleges in India you are aiming for (usually, you won't get much information by calling them and it is difficult to track down the right admin people...it is much better to visit and find out the information for yourself) and when you do, make sure to ask them about the entrance exam, practice tests, syllabi etc. Also, if you can get a tutor to prepare you for the entrance exams then do that. Lastly, TAKE AS MANY PRACTICE TESTS AS YOU CAN. This is the best way to prepare.

There is a second option in your case as well. If you are interested, you can do your MD program/residency in the U.S. which, depending on your placement, may carry a greater value than MD in India. However, if you were to go this route, then I suggest taking a year off after medical school, coming to the U.S, doing research and clinical activities in the country and writing your USMLE steps simultaneously. This way, you will have U.S. experience, U.S. LORs and a great shot at a successful career, considering you get into a proper residency program. There are also USMLE coaching centres which may help you.

I hope you do get into India's MD program, but remember that there is a lot of competition for very few seats. Unfortunately, it's like that everywhere and I'm starting to think that the medical career is simply built like that. But you can always obtain higher education abroad (England, Australia, U.S, Canada). If you find yourself overwhelmed with the pressures of medical school education which is preventing you from studying for the entrance exams, then take a break. Take a year or two off and use that free time to study. Or use the time you have during your internship year. I know a lady who took three years off after medical school to study for her PG examination in India, and she eventually got in. :) I hope you can get in on your first try! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Reactions: 1 users