URGENT: Belmont vs VCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSMD23

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all, I am in a bit of a predicament and would love some advice.

I was recently pulled off the waitlist at the Frist College of Medicine (Belmont) this past Friday, which is super exciting as I have been hoping to receive an acceptance and have always preferred the more traditional route of MD over DO. I want to do a competitive specialty (i.e. Urology or Derm), and am well aware of the necessary actions to make that happen, whether in the MD or the DO world.

However, I have already started medical school at VCOM, and I am about 2 weeks into the program. I have found that I enjoy VCOM more than I believed I would, and I think the faculty and staff set the students up for success. Although it has limitations in connections to big-name, academic hospitals, the school is very well connected to community based hospitals and similar residency programs. Furthermore, VCOM does as good of a job as MD schools at students matching into some of the competitive specialties (i.e. derm, radiology), but is definitely limited in some specialties, partially due to the lack of DO friendly residency programs.

That being said, I have discovered that I am able to withdrawal from VCOM with little-to-no penalty. But I cannot decide if Belmont will significantly improve my chances for a competitive specialty in the future, apart from the MD credentials. Similarly, will residency programs have bias against Belmont for not having full-accreditation?

If anyone could offer any insight into this situation, it would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t know anything about Belmont but I do know VCOM is pretty strict on attendance and I’ve heard has many more exams than other schools (obviously all medical schools have a lot of exams lol.)

I’d pick Belmont of the two if competitive specialties are in your head at all.

Reactions: 1 user
One thing to keep in mind is that Belmont is new, and doesn't have a match list yet-- so its hard to say where their students typically end up.

Id be curious to hear an adcom member's perspective on this :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Those are both good points! I think that is also a major consideration in this situation as well: either a DO bias or a new MD school bias. But overall, would an MD program in a big health care city offer more opportunities for connection, research, and achievement than a DO school in a small town with no large heath care system?