Urgent Care Physicians Fired by Chicago Hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SneakyBooger

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1574818712679.png

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Leadership also stated in the email that they are "working closely with these physicians to assist them with finding alternative positions within Edward-Elmhurst Health or outside our system," but doctors noted that they face a saturated Chicago healthcare market and they're likely to have to relocate.
When asked to confirm the layoffs, Keith Hartenberger, a spokesperson for Edward-Elmhurst Health, said in a statement: "We continue to assess our care delivery models in the interest of providing cost-effective care to our patients. We shared with physicians that we have plans to change the model next year at some outpatient sites and are working with anyone affected to find alternative placement.

Crazy stuff

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I may be wrong but I believe the reason doctors haven't unionized was traditionally because they were contractors rather than employees... and you have to be an employee in order to organize under the law.

IMHO another reason is because of professional differences. Nurses typically have a "shift work" mentality and doctors have traditionally felt "ownership" of the relationship with the patient... which would lead us to be much less likely to walk away.

The key word here is traditionally. With more and more physicians becoming employees I am surprised we aren't seeing it more often. I think maybe that even though many doctors are shift workers today... we still feel that responsibility to our patients that makes it difficult.

There certainly is a precedent:

This has nothing to do with Rad Onc or radiation oncologists but is being discussed in other specialty-specific forums, so I will allow it here, in it's own thread.

title should be changed, UC is confusing and sounds like UChicago

just say urgent care lol.

I see my post has been 1984'd to its own thread.

Possible sign of what is to come to rad onc now that supervision requirements have changed.

• Haha
I see my post has been 1984'd to its own thread.

Possible sign of what is to come to rad onc now that supervision requirements have changed.

“If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face—for ever.” - G.O. 1984