Urgent Care?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Back34

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between regular ol' family practice and family practice / urgent care? According to the allied physician survey (see link below) the urgent care folks make quite a bit more.

http://www.alliedphysicians.com/salary-surveys/physicians/

Members don't see this ad.

Damn. Didn't realize FP with Sports Medicine paid that much.

Did you notice that the average salary for FPs who don't do OB *drops* after a few years of practice? I wonder if this is just an artifiact of a small sample size or a reflection of the fact that lots of docs go into FP, have children, and then cut back hours pretty early in their career.

Members don't see this ad :)
Being a plumber (urology) pays tons...

Of course, you do have to touch penises constantly....

What I do notice is that without all the extra subspecialty training, FPs do pretty well compared to many specialties on this list. Alot of people fail to realize how much added schooling and competition it takes to make alot of this specialization salary.

It's only right that somone spend 6 years in a residency + fellowship to start out on a high end.

No flaming, it's just an observation....

And, let'm take it. I say give those other ppl more money to let us have FP. I don't want to do more training, I want to be a good ol FP doc.

sparky5 said:
And, let'm take it. I say give those other ppl more money to let us have FP. I don't want to do more training, I want to be a good ol FP doc.

Here Here, agreed! I started my clerkships with dollar signs on my mind, i.e., surgery, E.R., anesthesiology, did family med, and fell in love with it. The sacrifice and general disinterest in the said fields couldn't be compensated for by their hefty salaries, for me. Besides, 160 g's isn't exactly scraping the bottom of the barrel.