[URGENT] LECOM PCSP vs OU HCOM - Cleveland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

primarycare1014

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! I am in a bit of a difficult situation between these two schools. I am from Northeast Ohio and OU was one of my top schools, but I have been accepted to LECOM since January in the three year primary care program. I only have until tomorrow morning so please help a girl out!

Here are the pros and cons for each I have but I would appreciate any input or advice to help with my decision:

LECOM

Pros:
  • Tuition: cheaper than OU even with getting an apartment
  • Length of program: 3 year program focused in a field I’m interested in
  • Committed to program: the school showed interest in me early in the process and have worked with me on credits and being in the program of my choosing
Cons:

  • Length of program: am I rushing the experience and will I be prepared for residency
  • Reputation: I have seen and heard negative things about dealing with administration
  • Location: Erie isn’t a prime location for health, but they are well associated

OU:

Pros:

  • Location: from the area and love Cleveland, hospitals are renowned in the Cleveland area
  • Research: heavy emphasis on research which I enjoyed in undergrad
  • Overall really loved the school and was one of my top choices going into application cycle
  • Close to family for any assistance needed
Cons:
  • Tuition: a little more expensive than LECOM, but I’m going to be in debt anyway
  • Limited time: about a month out from the start date

Any advice you have will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
 
Last edited:
i have friends at the LECOM seton hill campus, and the general consensus is it will get you to your end goal, but it won’t be enjoyable. essentially, you’ll become a great physician, but you’ll have to seek your own research opportunities, mentoring, look past lecom’s stupid rules and admin, etc.

i would ignore the committed to the program pro - they worked with you because they wanted YOU, a stellar applicant at their school. at this point when you’re choosing between two schools, you get to be a little bit selfish.

i would also not consider the length of program a con - they have most likely graduated many successful candidates, and fourth year is typically for residency prep/specialization anyways
 
OUHCOM will lead to a more competitive match due to its reputation in the region. The research is comparable to allopathic schools due to its campuses being in large cities or inside a state university. Also, mental health is important so make sure to consider that as well.