URGENT "Lecture with lab"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mwsapphire

Office of the medical examiner.
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Was about to submit ACOMAS ( was doing transcript review) when I realized....for my basic sciences classes. I took, for example,
Principle of Biology 1 ( lecture only) 3 credits
Principles of Biology 1 lab ( lab only ) 1 credits
I listed the lab as a "lab class" , but what do I list the lecture as? The lecture and lab are co-reqs, but are separate classes. Do I list the biology class as " lecture and lab" even though it's not a combined ( 4 credit ) course?

Also, I received AP credit for biology, chemistry, and physics , but took the classes at a 4 year school. Do I list them as separate AP credit entries, or just say that I received AP credit for them as well as took them in person at a college during transcript review?

Please help
-mwsapphire

Edit: I would just email ACOMAS, but I'm worried it's such a simple/stupid question that they may think I'm way too neurotic. It doesn't help that unlike AMCAS, ACOMAS will not just " correct" errors for you. They will send the app back and it can cause delays.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
Was about to submit ACOMAS ( was doing transcript review) when I realized....for my basic sciences classes. I took, for example,
Principle of Biology 1 ( lecture only) 3 credits
Principles of Biology 1 lab ( lab only ) 1 credits
I listed the lab as a "lab class" , but what do I list the lecture as? The lecture and lab are co-reqs, but are separate classes. Do I list the biology class as " lecture and lab" even though it's not a combined ( 4 credit ) course?

Also, I received AP credit for biology, chemistry, and physics , but took the classes at a 4 year school. Do I list them as separate AP credit entries, or just say that I received AP credit for them as well as took them in person at a college during transcript review?

Please help
-mwsapphire

Edit: I would just email ACOMAS, but I'm worried it's such a simple/stupid question that they may think I'm way too neurotic. It doesn't help that unlike AMCAS, ACOMAS will not just " correct" errors for you. They will send the app back and it can cause delays.
If they're separate classes on your transcript you list one as lecture and one as lab. Later, when you actually send your primary to schools there'll be a section where you identify courses you'd like to use to meet those pre-reqs. At that point you'd tick both the 3 unit lecture and the 1 unit lab to satisfy that one Lecture w/ Lab requirement.

List AP credit exactly as it appears on your transcript. If it just says 32 units of AP credits or graduation requirement waived with AP credit, you can't list those.

If they're separate classes on your transcript you list one as lecture and one as lab. Later, when you actually send your primary to schools there'll be a section where you identify courses you'd like to use to meet those pre-reqs. At that point you'd tick both the 3 unit lecture and the 1 unit lab to satisfy that one Lecture w/ Lab requirement.

List AP credit exactly as it appears on your transcript. If it just says 32 units of AP credits or graduation requirement waived with AP credit, you can't list those.
Wait...I thought if you got AP credit that counted as " free credits" but didn' actually go towards a class, that you listed them as " N/A CR" ( like no class name or number but just the lump credits if they appear on your transcript). I have no like, desire to put them on my ACOMAS, I just want to do it as correctly as I can. I'm only worried bc unlike what AMCAS has done for the last few years, ACOMAS will send your application back to you if you make a mistake like this. They won't just fix it for you and that'll mess up how my app gets processed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about your transcript specifically, but mine said "Test Credits Applied" and then the number of units which didn't need to be listed on AACOMAS as I didn't receive a grade equivalent.

Just copy it straight from your transcript.
Mine listed it like “English 100 P 3 credits”. That’s how it went on the application.
If your lab and lecture are separate credits you need to separate them.

And breath a little, this isn’t that huge of a deal. Also emailing them effects your application to the schools in no way.

I don't know about your transcript specifically, but mine said "Test Credits Applied" and then the number of units which didn't need to be listed on AACOMAS as I didn't receive a grade equivalent.
Just copy it straight from your transcript.
Mine listed it like “English 100 P 3 credits”. That’s how it went on the application.
If your lab and lecture are separate credits you need to separate them.

And breath a little, this isn’t that huge of a deal. Also emailing them effects your application to the schools in no way.
For gen bio , gen chem, and en physics i took the class at a 4 year school and got AP credit.I was able to indicate those during transcript review, and since I took the class with credits/a grade they should go into my ACOMAS GPA. I did also include 4 " blank" credits. My school gave me credits for taking AP calc but it did not count towards the calc class I took. I entered them as blank AP Credits ( The N/A CR thing that the manual says to do). I haven't submitted yet, but, should I keep or remove that? I have 28 AP credits indicated at the start of my transcript, so I just don't know if that would leave them scratching their heads.

Yeah, hehe, I know I should relax. But I was ...kinda having issues last night with a bunch of app-related things :angelic: It also seems that minor mistakes are corrected byt the ACOMAS folks instead of punting your application back to you.

For gen bio , gen chem, and en physics i took the class at a 4 year school and got AP credit.I was able to indicate those during transcript review, and since I took the class with credits/a grade they should go into my ACOMAS GPA. I did also include 4 " blank" credits. My school gave me credits for taking AP calc but it did not count towards the calc class I took. I entered them as blank AP Credits ( The N/A CR thing that the manual says to do). I haven't submitted yet, but, should I keep or remove that? I have 28 AP credits indicated at the start of my transcript, so I just don't know if that would leave them scratching their heads.

Yeah, hehe, I know I should relax. But I was ...kinda having issues last night with a bunch of app-related things :angelic: It also seems that minor mistakes are corrected byt the ACOMAS folks instead of punting your application back to you.
You have a grade for your AP credits from high school? I didn’t know you could have A/B/C etc for that.

2 semesters of gen chem with lab and 2 semesters of physics turns to be required for medical school. Did you not take them at all because you have the AP credit? I didn’t even turn those AP exams into credit as I had to take those classes anyway.

You have a grade for your AP credits from high school? I didn’t know you could have A/B/C etc for that.

2 semesters of gen chem with lab and 2 semesters of physics turns to be required for medical school. Did you not take them at all because you have the AP credit? I didn’t even turn those AP exams into credit as I had to take those classes anyway.
Nooo, I took the class at a 4 year school bc AP credits are not advised for pre reqs. I took those classes in college with everyone else because they were pre reqs and I did not wanna use AP credit. So, I got both credit that my school applied for those classes ( my college says they are " repeats" but they are indicated as AP credits). And since I took those classes, they are on my transcript, and I have letter grades for them.

And then I have 4 " free standing" credits that were just credits applied to my degree, from AP Calc, bc I took a diff AP Calc that the math AP creds did not apply to.