Urgent - Online IR resource needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theWUbear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was recently accepted to medical school after completing an SMP (I state this because in the SMP I took many basic science medical courses, giving me some background in the basic sciences). As I am strongly interested in interventional radiology, I have been introduced to an IR physician in my medical school and I start observing him (with intention to show him I'm capable of assisting on a project leading to publication) Monday. I wanted to get a copy of Kandarpa's Handbook of Interventional Radiology Procedures but no library in New Jersey has it -_- including my med school, which lost their copy. I decided against buying the book and overnighting it to myself, so it looks like I am down to online resources to give myself a cursory understanding of the common IR procedures.

Is there a good online resource to learn about IR? Would I better spend my time learning basic radiology instead of IR procedures? I would really appreciate if someone could direct me toward some good online resources. I'm just following google at this point and most stuff is patient-directed

Members don't see this ad.

endovascular.org is a great site. Great cases and u can learn alot

dude you're a M1... he won't expect you to know anything. Just look interested and you'll be fine. Honestly it'll be hard for you to pick up lots of stuff because you haven't had enough/any clinical medicine or training at all. But it's a good learning experience and if it leads to publications then that is great.

however, remember you're a M1 and IR is a fairly specialized field compared to others out there and unless you have a super good reason wanting to go into IR sooo early in your training it may come off as looking naive (that's what I would think anyway). It's kinda like a M1 who wants to be a neurosurgeon but has absolutely no idea about anything a neurosurgeon does let alone anything about clinical neurology in the least...

So the point is to keep an open mind regardless at this point. It really wasn't until after my surgey rotation and getting to see some fluoro stuff that I started getting interested in IR and radiology (though I always had a faint interest in rads regardless).

Thanks for the site and the recommendations, guys :)